Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:12:13 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  There Is Nothing Like Fresh Vermont Sweet Corn - Maybe Vt Tomatoes??
« previous next »
: [1]
: There Is Nothing Like Fresh Vermont Sweet Corn - Maybe Vt Tomatoes??  ( 3590 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 09, 2010, 06:49:40 AM »

I had my first taste of Vermont Sugar & Butter Sweet Corn last night for supper.  My dentures don't permit me to eat it off the cob, so I take my electric knife and cut it off, add butter, salt & pepper, and viola, I can make a meal on that.  I throw it in the pot of boiling water and let it boil for about 20 minutes.  I picked up a couple small yellow summer squash to go with it and that was my supper.  August is just a wonderful time for Vermont Vegetables.

Tomatoes, of course are great.  Those were Maryann's favorite vegetable.  She would peel & slice a nice ripe tomato and make a sandwich out of it and call it a meal - To me, that was good, but didn't match the local sweet corn.

I think I could eat sweet corn every day from now until Mid-September, but I think I had best watch the scales on a daily basis.

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #1 : August 09, 2010, 02:56:58 PM »

The Gingue's here on Boissoneault have great sweet corn available!
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #2 : August 09, 2010, 10:48:47 PM »

We have been going to our favorite Farmer's market the past two week-ends, finally.

We cannot get vine ripened tomatoes or corn here, too short a season.

But the Swiss Chard, Bok Choy, Radishes, Lettuce, Cabbage, and Carrots have been out of this world.

I will grab pics this next Saturday to show ya'll.

Cabbage is a huge hit here........ good thing I love it!
Scott
: 152

« #3 : August 10, 2010, 11:20:16 AM »

Thanks Henry!

I stopped and picked up a dozen. I told the farmer that it was personally recommended by you. He seemed pleased to hear that. He said it's in it's prime right NOW, and will be for another week or so.

Regards,
Scott
msm
: 211

« #4 : August 12, 2010, 07:20:45 AM »

Mike,

Can growers utilize Greenhouses for corn and tomatos ? I've never been to Alaska --- but would think a greenhouse with some type of heaters would extend your season a couple of weeks on each end ?  or does the Artic Blast prohibit this type of gardening ?

Mike McNall  ---  I grow 13 feet corn in Fairfax -- thought you could do the same in Alaska  :-)
: [1]  
« previous next »
: