Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:17:42 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Fairpoint in North Fairfax? (Internet query)
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairpoint in North Fairfax? (Internet query)  ( 6796 )
Scott
: 152

« : January 08, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »

We're up in the "Windtop Estates" (just before the Interstate overpass) and are currently using SurfGlobal/Globalnet as our internet service provider.

Fairpoint says that we can now get a (up to) 3 mbps service for the same price that we're paying Globalnet for 2. The average bandwidth that I get from Globalnet on a clear day is 1.2 mbps.

Is there anyone in the Northern end of town that has Fairpoint and knows what they get for REAL connection speed? You can check at http://speedtest.net

Any replies are appreciated....just curious if you're satisfied with what you're getting....and the actual speed in this area compared to the advertised speed.

Regards,
Scott
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : January 09, 2011, 08:44:49 AM »

Hi Scott,

I did the test on my computer this morning.  I have Fairpoint DSL and on download I got 1.53 mb and upload I got .37.  Mary Kay and I are the last houses on The Fletcher Road supposedly that can get DSL  Don't know if this is good or bad, but I sure do appreciate it over Dial Up.

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #2 : January 10, 2011, 06:25:11 PM »

Scott,  Like my Dad said we get 1.5MB downloads and uploads vary from .37 - .500 but no where near 3MBS.  I sincerely doubt the speed in Windtop would be that fast.  I would stick with what you got for now...

If I hear anything different I will post here to let you know!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Scott

« #3 : January 11, 2011, 05:28:50 AM »

I found out that one of my neighbors is getting 2.8mbps ...so Fairpoint gets active on the 17th! :)

Regards,
Scott
mkr
Administrator

« #4 : January 12, 2011, 11:26:06 AM »

Very nice! You are a lucky guy!

trussell
: 870

« #5 : January 15, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »

Anyone else having problems with Globalnet today? It's been fairly slow the past two weeks, and now Im getting nothing... I don't think I used up the entire internet, so I figure something must be broken. :)  I went out and looked on my little receiver unit and saw some flashy leds.  Tech support is closed for the night- anyone have ant advice for me? I was really looking forward to working tonight.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Scott

« #6 : January 16, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »

It always been slow, but yeah, the past two weeks have been terrible. I can't get over .6mbps. Obviously, that was the last straw for me.
Are you pointed to the tower on Mansfield or the one on Rt 36?

Regards,
Scott
trussell
: 870

« #7 : January 16, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »

I have a minimal view of Mansfield's tower... but I'm operating off the Essex one.  I wicked with customer service this morning (customer service on a Sunday. How cool is that??) but we couldn't fix it. Theyll have someone stop in tomorrow afternoon and I'm sure they'll take care of it.  I asked about the recent slowdown and was told that theyre in the middle of an upgrade.  I'll keep you posted, Scott. 

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Darryl
: 8

« #8 : January 29, 2011, 10:56:43 PM »

Mine's been really bad since around Christmas.  I just did a test and am getting .35mpbs.  Not happy.
mkr
Administrator

« #9 : January 31, 2011, 02:07:47 PM »

Bandwidth is shared and I have heard it is still slow off of Mt. Mansfield right now too.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: