Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 06:13:03 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  One Safety Attachment You Should Not Be Without
« previous next »
: [1]
: One Safety Attachment You Should Not Be Without  ( 3840 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 18, 2011, 08:55:22 AM »

I don't know if you have ever had one of your garage door springs break or not, but over the past 40+ years it has happened to me about 3 times.

The first time it happened I was sitting in the car and heard a loud bang.  The spring had broken and part of it was embedded in the wall in front of my car up near the eaves.  Had that ever hit me I would never have known what hit me.  My garage door opener the first time this happened was made by Montgomery Wards and when I went to order a new one, they informed me that I should be sure to insert a strong wire through the center of each spring and have it securely attached at both ends, so that if the spring broke, it could go nowhere or hit anyone.  That I did and to this day, I do not raise or lower my garage door unless I am in the car.

Well, last night I was headed down to Steeple Market to get my Prime Rib Dinner and when I raised the garage door, it bound and hung up.  When I got out to check, sure enough, a broken spring.  I called Overhead Door this morning and they will call me when they can come up.  I will be getting both springs replaced, even though only one is broken.  Don't know what would have happened to the broken piece of spring if a wire had not been inserted through it, but no damaged car or injury to me..  It is truly a dangerous thing, so if you don't have that safety wire, best you put one on, or get someone to do it for you.

Henry Raymond
al brodeur
: 216

« #1 : February 18, 2011, 10:43:25 AM »

down here in Pa it is against the law to install a overhead door with a strech type spring without a saftey cable running thru it and  securely fastned on each end
ans yes springs should be replaced in pairs, the big box stores here have a large inventory for most doors
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #2 : February 18, 2011, 05:48:01 PM »

i wondered what that cable was for .
kevin
: 64

« #3 : February 18, 2011, 09:35:16 PM »

I have had to replace each of the springs on my garage doors and each time have installed the safety wire.  J&L always has these springs in stock!

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
-Winston Churchill
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #4 : February 19, 2011, 01:09:55 AM »

Overhead Door is a great company.

I try to use them for our buildings we do that have roll up doors.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: