Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 03:32:26 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  VT Delegation Writes President
« previous next »
: [1]
: VT Delegation Writes President  ( 2004 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : May 28, 2011, 08:38:23 AM »

May 27, 2011

The Honorable Barack Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue N.W.
Washington, DC 20500

Dear President Obama,

We are writing to call your attention to the request by Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin, on behalf of the State of Vermont, for disaster assistance in the wake of unprecedented rainfall, spring runoff and turbulent storms that included high winds and hail.  The State of Vermont is completely saturated to an unprecedented magnitude. 

Lake Champlain and other smaller bodies of water within the state have reached record levels, and are well above flood stage.  Rivers and streams have flooded their banks and remain dangerously high.  State agencies have distributed tens of thousands of sandbags to local communities.  The adverse impact of this unprecedented condition has taken its toll on many local communities as they deal with road washouts, downed trees,  crumbling lanes and shoulders of major state highways; additionally, Vermont residents must deal with flooded homes and unplantable farmland. 

The Vermont Emergency Management Agency estimates that damage to public infrastructure has exceeded $6 million.  The principal counties experiencing the most severe damage include, but not limited to, Addison, Chittenden, Essex, Franklin, Grand Isle, Lamoille and Orleans.

The Governor recently submitted a formal request for Preliminary Damage Assessment teams to verify damage to public infrastructure.  We know that the State and several counties have reached monetary thresholds that would qualify for Federal disaster assistance.  The timely delivery of much needed resources from the Federal Emergency Management Agency is absolutely critical to help Vermonters, working together, to respond to this disaster.

Mr. President, we urgently request your support of a Presidential Disaster Declaration for the state of Vermont.

Sincerely,

PATRICK J. LEAHY                     BERNARD SANDERS            PETER F. WELCH
United States Senator               United States Senator         United States Representative

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: