Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:54:40 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  High winds to hit state Sunday; utility officials advise residents to prepare
« previous next »
: [1]
: High winds to hit state Sunday; utility officials advise residents to prepare  ( 1384 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : December 22, 2007, 03:42:31 PM »

High winds to hit state Sunday; utility officials advise residents to prepare

Utility officials say high winds expected to lash Vermont Sunday and Sunday night could cause extensive damage and power outages, and are advising residents to take measures to prepare.

Forecasts by Central Vermont Public Service include the threat of wind gusts of more than 75 mph, which could cause significant widespread power outages.

CVPS crews across the state will be stationed at their districts Sunday morning to address outages as they occur, a spokeswoman said Saturday. In an unprecedented effort, CVPS is bringing in dozens of outside contract crews from Canada and New England by mid-morning Sunday to help, she said.

Customers are urged to have flashlights, batteries, food and water available in case they lose power. Candles are not recommended due to the risk of fire.

CVPS suggests that friends, family and neighbors check on elderly Vermonters who may need help.

CVPS offered the following advice to residents to prepare:
- Before outages occur, be sure you have a phone that is hard-wired and does not rely on electricity.
- Fill a bathtub with water before you lose power so the water can be used to flush toilets when the power is out. Do not let children access the bathroom unsupervised.
- Treat any downed line as if it is live. Report the line to your local utility and fire department, stay at least 30 feet away and keep children and pets away.
- If using a generator, read and follow the owner’s manual before starting it. Never operate a generator inside or near a structure. Use a transfer switch to ensure electricity is not accidentally fed onto a line where line crews must work.
- Keep freezers and refrigerators closed as much as possible to prevent food spoilage.
- If power goes out, turn off all electrical appliances except one light so you’ll know when service returns. Then, turn equipment back on slowly.
- Never use grills inside for warmth, as the fumes can be poisonous.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: