Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 11:18:19 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Very Interesting Photos From Fairfax Analyzed By An Expert
« previous next »
: [1]
: Very Interesting Photos From Fairfax Analyzed By An Expert  ( 2837 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 02, 2007, 05:14:52 PM »

Hi All,

David Shea ran across an interesting sight and had his camera with him.  He took a couple of photos and sent them in to Sharon Meyer at WCAX Channel 3.  Below is what happened:

Sharon:

My son and I were out taking a walk in our woods and saw and interesting sight.  A small creature had taken some steps and they abruptly stopped without a point of retreat.  Upon further inspection we noticed that a bird or maybe owl had landed to snatch the critter for dinner.  Thought you and some of your viewers might enjoy this photo.  It is a good reminder that all sorts of creatures are very active in the winter if even though we might not always see them.

My 5 year old son asked me if the bird or owl killed the small creature?  I told him that in the wild that is how some creatures survive for food.

David Shea
Fairfax, VT

Sharon Meyer is very good about responding and this is the response that Dave got:

I was interested in your photo, so I forwarded it to one of our bird experts for his opinion, ….he thinks this is probably a ruffled grouse, and your son will be happy to know it probably was not a prey situation! Phew! This is Bryan’s email below…. Thanks for the photo! Sharon

No, I don't think it's a prey situation. It's looking as if this is only a grouse walking then taking off. The prints are probably from the down-push of the wings before liftoff. And the tracks look like grouse tracks to me. Not mouse tracks or some other small critter that would have been prey.  -B[/b]

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #1 : March 02, 2007, 10:39:50 PM »

Great pictures.
Thanks for sharing.
I wonder if Sharon will use that on the air.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
David Shea
: 471

« #2 : March 03, 2007, 06:28:45 AM »

Mike:

Thanks for the positive feedback.  Sharon didn't tell me that she would use them, but I am hoping that she will.

Have a great day.

Dave
: [1]  
« previous next »
: