Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 04:58:49 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Thanks To Kathy Day, Fletcher's Elusive Wolf Photographed
« previous next »
: [1]
: Thanks To Kathy Day, Fletcher's Elusive Wolf Photographed  ( 8723 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 08, 2010, 06:52:26 AM »

Hi Henry-

Friday around noon a very large beautiful wild dog crossed the road in front our car just before the Hall Farm in Fletcher. The animal was apparently interested in turkey dinner for lunch because the field he crossed into had several.  We watched him for a few minutes when he stopped to look back at our car and then lope after the birds’.   He eventually headed for the woods with no turkey.  I was able to take this one photo of him.  Rumor in Fletcher is that he/she is a wolf and has been sighted many times.  The dog is estimated to weigh around 120 lbs.  Thought you would like to share this photo with your readers. 

Kathy Day - Fletcher VT

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : August 08, 2010, 07:24:13 AM »

I wasn't sure just where the Hall Farm is located, so checked with Kathy and she told me that The Hall Farm is located on the Cambridge Rd, across from the Fletcher town clerks office.  He/She crossed the road into the field just passed their farm heading towards Cambridge.

Henry Raymond
Travis
: 141

« #2 : August 08, 2010, 09:44:04 AM »

That looks like the one I saw near the corner of 104 and 104a. I was fairly certain is was a coyote. My parents saw a coyote near their kitchen window, and their dog had his butt nipped by it.
Suzy
: 429

« #3 : August 08, 2010, 10:44:15 AM »

I have seen more wolves this year here in Wyoming than I have the entire 14 years I've lived here.  I am pretty sure that photo is of a coyote.  I'm no animal biologist, but I do frequently see coyotes, and have been seeing lots of wolves this spring and summer, and I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference now.  Although it's kinda hard to tell from photo.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #4 : August 08, 2010, 05:25:58 PM »

It is hard to tell without seeing the face.

Ears sorta say coyote but body looks thick like a wolf.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #5 : August 09, 2010, 02:49:56 PM »

I agree Mike.  Hard to tell....

We hear the coyotes some nights out running through the woods, it gets the local dogs all barking, except mine, he is listening to them all.  Cracks me up, as it is like he is on the phone getting the gossip on the front porch.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Dick Brown
: 414

« #6 : August 11, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »

Mike        I agree with your assessment of the photo of this animal , mainly because of the ears. You certainly have more opportunities to see wolves then those who live in Vermont, but a wolf, I think, has a longer snout ( which can't be seen here ) and also both a longer body and bigger feet.
However , State Biologists have confirmed ( again I'm falling back on information that I received while a member of the Keeping Track Organization several years ago ) the presence of wolves in the Canadian Border area of the Northeast Kingdom so it wouldn't be a stretch for some of them, with their extensive ranging habits in search of food , to move into Franklin or Lamoille Counties .
Suzy

« #7 : August 22, 2010, 08:46:38 AM »

In the most recent National Geographic magazine, there's a short article on "New Beasts In the East."  It says that in the 1920's coyotes from the West pushed into the Great Lakes Region and mated with wolves from that area.  According to DNA analysis, it's not a new species, but a hybrid that's more coyote than wolf.  Wolf genes give the coyotes a bigger skull and wider jaw than western coyotes, making them capable of taking down larger prey like deer. 
Dick Brown

« #8 : August 22, 2010, 09:47:51 AM »

Suzy        I read a similar article years ago and I think the writer is completely correct. Your posting reminded me of that information and of the purpose for reading it many years ago. I was involved in a discussion with some St. Albans neighbors who called the Eastern Coyotes " Coy-dogs ", and Susan Morse ( of Keeping Track notoriety ) told me what to read to support the Eastern Coyote theory.  As I remember it, the Western Coyote and Red Wolf mating produced an animal similar in coloring & makeup to a German Shepard ( presumably if coyotes were mating with dogs, the pups would be a variety of colors and shapes ) and we all know how coyotes treat smaller dogs ( like shopping for a meal at Shaw's ! ) , I don't think that logic changed my neighbor's mind though ( probably a Republican from Fairfield ! ).
I'm guessing you're absolutely on point with this info, and so the picture probably shows a large male Eastern Coyote ( typically 60 - 80 Lbs in maturity ) which can wreak havoc in the rural area around Fletcher , compared to it's cousion in the western states.
By the way , Jeff and his buddy took a float trip down the Shoshone ( sp ?? ) River near Cody ( with a guide ) on a catch and release program and caught large cutbow trout ( he says a cross between a rainbow and a cutthroat ) of 2 Lbs or more, but had to switch to a # 6 tippet instead of the # 4 they were using to catch brookies  in other areas in order to get them up to the boat . I think if they could find a job to support them, they'd move there in a heartbeat.
Dick Brown

« #9 : August 22, 2010, 11:54:57 AM »

Suzy     I  just remembered that  Jeff and his buddy switched to a # 1 tippet rather then a # 6 ( higher the number, lesser tensile strength for the line ).......shows what type of a fly fisherman I am.   My zebco reel and crawler might have gotten me laughed out of  the boat on that adventure  !!!! 
Any more adventures with bears and a camera ???
Suzy

« #10 : November 13, 2010, 07:04:24 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCAo1by5G64

Here's a link to a video I shot of a wolf the other day.  It crossed the road right in front of me.  I think I saw it the day before that as well.  (Shot in Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming)
« : November 13, 2010, 07:31:11 PM Henry »
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #11 : November 13, 2010, 08:18:29 PM »

Several weeks ago I saw two 'dogs' up on 104 in the meadows past the Bouthilette farm that looked too big to be coyotes, but not really wolves; could be that hybrid creature.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #12 : November 13, 2010, 09:09:44 PM »

Odd thing this thread was brought back,

Headed home from Palmer to Anchorage I saw a bunch of emergency vehicles in the North bound lane of the highway near the Army base.

The wolf pack that roams there lost 3 pack members.
You could see them as plain as day going 70mph.
Sad.
Mummy
: 280

« #13 : November 14, 2010, 10:40:52 AM »

I agree with Suzy, that looks to be a coyote!  They get pretty big up here.  That is not a Wolf.  That is why you have to support the local Trappers.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #14 : November 14, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »

I would say a coyote to!! we have seem to have had a spike in the population around here in the last couple years I get a lot of calls about them in Fairfax!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
: [1]  
« previous next »
: