Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 11:46:53 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Registered sex offender parolee moves onto Old Academy St, yards from school
« previous next »
: [1]
: Registered sex offender parolee moves onto Old Academy St, yards from school  ( 8739 )
huntstreethandman1
: 2

« : July 25, 2009, 08:32:05 PM »

A friend in criminal justice system gave me a heads up. Warn your wives and daughters. Be safe!
dearon
: 233

« #1 : July 25, 2009, 09:41:10 PM »

Any sex offender has to be at least one mile from a school or day care.  That was the law a few years ago maybe someone should be checking on this?
I just checked the state of Vermont sex offender registry and didn't see anyone in fairfax?
http://170.222.137.2:8080/sor/servlet/SOR
« : July 25, 2009, 09:49:19 PM Henry »
huntstreethandman1
: 2

« #2 : July 25, 2009, 10:06:35 PM »

VERMONT SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY
INFORMATION

http://170.222.137.2:8080/sor/

THIS SITE DOES NOT CONTAIN THE NAMES OF ALL THE REGISTERED SEX OFFENDERS IN VERMONT. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OR THE VERMONT SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY AT 802-241-5400 FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
Cat

« #3 : July 25, 2009, 10:47:05 PM »

Well that is scary if it is true. I like to walk to work sometimes & lots of kids walk to school.
« : July 26, 2009, 11:00:18 AM Cat »
edakrupp

« #4 : July 26, 2009, 12:35:06 PM »

perhaps someone should notify someone on the select board and find out what the policy is for our town, if we have one, and if not could they draft one up mighty quick.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #5 : July 26, 2009, 12:37:42 PM »

A member of the selectboard has been notified and is on it.

Henry Raymond
dearon

« #6 : July 26, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »

I spoke with someone today that works as a social worker in the corrections department.  They said that if the sex offender is getting treatment the "new" law states they don't have to be in the registry, but that is changing.  I think that is ridiculous!  The person I spoke with will try to find out who this person is get  more information on this.
« : July 26, 2009, 09:08:44 PM dearon »
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #7 : July 26, 2009, 09:06:23 PM »

I seem to remember a situation just like this in Swanton a while back and in Burlington not to long ago.  From what I remember there is no law in Vermont that prevents someone from living near a school just because they are a convicted sex offender.  sucks but I'm pretty sure as long as they register and do their treatment there isn't much 1 person can do.
« : July 26, 2009, 09:08:51 PM FXDHS »

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
dearon

« #8 : July 26, 2009, 09:14:03 PM »

The person in Swanton has multiple convictions in regards to being a sex offender and is on the list as he has never gotten treatment and is a repeat offender.  Nice to see they let someone like that out.  I believe he has very strict curfews and has to  be with his wife where ever he goes out. He has relatives that live out on Buckhollow Rd so for their protection I will not mention his name.
Stand Alone Defense

« #9 : July 26, 2009, 09:20:46 PM »

I am aware of the person you are speaking of Dearon.  Not the same person I was speaking of though Swanton has several offenders that I know of. 

cedarman
: 370

« #10 : July 27, 2009, 05:35:37 AM »

I believe Barre recently had their city ordinance prohibiting registered sex offenders from living within 1000 ft of a school, daycare, or playground overturned.

http://www.timesargus.com/article/20090701/NEWS01/907010359/0/FRONTPAGE

MONTPELIER – One community's attempt to regulate where convicted sex offenders can and can't live suffered a serious setback this week when Washington County Superior Court Judge Helen Toor granted a preliminary injunction barring Barre from enforcing its recently challenged "Child Safety Ordinance."

"Judge Toor's decision is a very clear and careful ruling," Gilbert said. "She obviously listened closely to the arguments on both sides … and looked very sharply at the issue we raised about the authority of municipalities to pass ordinances like this."

Toor indicated she found no such authority – a potentially fatal blow to an ordinance that was adopted by city councilors in Barre last year and since replicated in Rutland.
« : July 27, 2009, 07:04:46 AM Henry »
dearon

« #11 : July 27, 2009, 05:47:42 AM »

I guess to only way to keep children safe is to be sure we know when they live and have all adults in the community keep a watchful eye on the children.  A community needs to act as a whole.
mirjo
: 785

« #12 : July 27, 2009, 10:19:05 AM »

Just out of curiosity, since we only hear the worst news, is there anyone in law enforcement out there that knows what the percentage of sex offenders is that DO NOT committ another crime after they are released? We always hear about those that have repeated convictions of 2,3 and more and they are still out in the community! Are there any statisitcs on those who do their time & treatment and actually become trustworthy citizens you're not afraid to live near with your children?

Just wonderin'

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
dearon

« #13 : July 27, 2009, 08:17:01 PM »

I know of a person that works in the criminal justice system, the statics are not good, if they were I'm sure they'd be published.  A good number of them even with rehab end up re-offending.  I understand it is a very frustrating process for the ones that try to turn these people around.  Remember the 12 year old down in the southern part of the state, who was considered treated and released..... 
« : July 28, 2009, 06:12:26 AM dearon »
Stand Alone Defense

« #14 : July 27, 2009, 11:12:30 PM »

Dearon is right it isn't good.  It is also scary the amount of sex offenders there are!! With a little research I found that the State of Vermont has well over 100 sex offences every year 1540 between 1997 and 2007 scary I thought.  It's really scary when you look at the registries and look at the amount of people that aren't on there.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: