Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 08:54:42 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Latest Selectboard Minutes For Dec 13, 2010 Are Available
« previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: Latest Selectboard Minutes For Dec 13, 2010 Are Available  ( 18774 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« #15 : December 21, 2010, 11:41:27 AM »

Why is this happening?
Thousands and millions of dollars are spent on the town and the school, and we have to quibble about a couple of hundred bucks. I'm not quibbling. I don't have a problem with it.
It's a simple Thank You from the selectboard to the town employees for all they do all year long, be it plowing roads, running elections, dealing with with building permits, collecting taxes, balancing the budget, and dealing with the townspeople everyday.
Thank you to all the town employees for all you do, all year long.
Please, people, let it go.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
K. Greenia
: 17

« #16 : December 21, 2010, 12:15:01 PM »

I don't see why there would be any problem with it anyway. As it was pointed out, it's a cost of a few cents per taxpayer, and it's the holidays. I don't see an uproar  when individual companies hold a holiday party, why should this be any different? The town isn't privately owned, so yes, it falls on us. Essentially, we are the employers, and we are rewarding a group of people who work harder than many of us do.

To all town employees: Have fun, and have a safe and wonderful holiday!

I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.
tfence
: 257

« #17 : December 21, 2010, 01:13:53 PM »

$225.00 what kind of party is that going to do. I vote for a lot more money allocated for this. All I can say is that I spend over 5k on employees during the holidays  (very happy doing it) to show them how much they mean to us. I am not sure how many the town employs. We only have 10.
PS, VBC restaurant put on an unbelievably great party for us. Thanks VBC.

We are here for all your Outdoor Living Needs.
visit us at http://feerickfence.com/
also check us out on facebook
cedarman
: 370

« #18 : December 21, 2010, 01:14:32 PM »

"As of the census of 2000, there were 3,765 people, 1,222 households, "
$225 / 1222 = $0.184 per household"

18 CENTS.  We are not talking about a group of irresponsible legislators having elaborate parties on our dollars.  The issue here is One or Two grinches who don't want to reward those who work for us.  I'm glad they are NOT my boss, and I hope if they work for someone, that they DON'T get a Christmas (oops, Holiday) party, and NO holiday bonus.

Wages are NOT the issue here.  This amount of money divided by the employees wouldn't amount to more than a couple cups of coffee.  If is small demonstrations of appreciation like this that mean more to most employees than a generous pay raise would mean.

As for putting money back into the "Town" fund, we all do that on a regular basis.  I'm sure a town vote would overwhelmingly approve this small (once per year) expenditure, but voting on every expenditure like this would not be practical.  That is why we elect representatives who we expect to spend funds wisely.

Thank you to the Select Board members for this wise investment (wise due to the boost in moral and therefore productivity, willingness to go the extra mile when needed, etc).

Thank you to the town employees who go the extra mile to assist all of us and keep our town running and well maintained overall.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #19 : December 21, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »

I can't believe that this is a discussion.... yes Papi, sorry you do sound like a scrooge.  So I am sending you 3 ghosts tonight and we will see how you feel tomorrow :-)

"Merry Christmas/Happy New Years Town Employees and please enjoy your party!  Thank you for all you do!"

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Margie
: 156

« #20 : December 21, 2010, 01:50:05 PM »

One last comment from me...they put the information in the minutes so everyone is aware of how the money was spent.  They very easily couldn't just gone ahead and allocated it to office expenses and no one would have any idea that money was spent on a very small party for the employees.  The select board is being transparent.  I thank them for that.  I also trust them to use my tax money in a rational wise manner.

Again, thank you to all the employees of The Town of Fairfax for all the work you do to keep our community running and safe.  Happy Holidays!!
Travis
: 141

« #21 : December 21, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »

I can see the other side of the issue. I know there are people that are unemployed. Some so long that they can't get benefits any longer. Others that have low paying jobs and ones that don't give bonuses or have parties. Some people are working 60 hours a week or more just to make ends meet. Times are tough. I get it.

But that said, a $225 party is very inexpensive way to show a little appreciation during the holidays. Heck I think they deserve kudos for being able to throw a party for such a small amount.
roadkill
: 80

« #22 : December 21, 2010, 02:53:19 PM »

If you ALL only knew, Merry Christmas. Oh, And Thank You to all the Town Employees, I appreciate everything you do.
khort
: 149

« #23 : December 21, 2010, 04:49:06 PM »

Although the Town of Fairfax is where we live and pay taxes, we have to remember that the Town of Fairfax is also peoples employer. I know that at Christmas when my employer makes a small gesture of a luncheon, it is much appreciated by all the employees. I say have a "party" and enjoy as we all would!
Thanks for doing a great job throughout the year is is appreciated!
mrome
: 37

« #24 : December 21, 2010, 06:02:12 PM »

Kudos and thanks to all the town employees...both elected and hired. Enjoy the party. It's a SMALL token of appreciation.

Mummy - Frankly I am kind of shocked that you would expect members of the Select Board to pay for a party to thank the town employees. It is not the Select Board that is thanking the workers, it is the townsfolk. It should not cost members of the Select Board anything to serve the town.

My two cents....enjoy the party! And thanks again. Keep up the good work!

Margo Rome
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #25 : December 21, 2010, 09:58:36 PM »

I agree with the people who are saying that $225 is a small amount with which to show some appreciation to the town employees.  It seems stingy and selfish to take issue with it.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
roadkill
: 80

« #26 : December 22, 2010, 03:44:01 PM »

I have stewed over this all day, I realize that these are tough times for a lot of people. I only hope that Papi and Mummy have written Bernie Sanders and expressed their displeasure with the huge bonuses given to the CEOs of all those banks, thats your money too. secondly, the people of Fairfax need to understand that our Road Crew saves them thousands of dollars a year because of their experience, ingenuity and dedication, along with all the thankless hours our Selectboard works, even you Bob, Thank you Bob, someone has to be the man and I appreciate your service along with everyone elses, I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
MSKelly
: 18

« #27 : December 22, 2010, 09:52:59 PM »

Quite honestly, I'm embarrassed to think of the town employees reading this thread. One holiday party totaling $225 is hardly veering into Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company territory. Yes, we should all work hard and take pride in our jobs simply because we are fortunate to have them but I don't see why a small gesture of appreciation is out of line. It can be a stressful time of year, costly and busy, and I think it's lovely for them to be able to sit down, relax and enjoy a great meal together.
Judi
: 508

« #28 : December 23, 2010, 10:03:37 AM »

Quite honestly, I'm embarrassed to think of the town employees reading this thread.

I agree and I hope the scrooges haven't ruined their party! Merry Christmas and thank you for your service to the town of Fairfax.
ohhman
: 469

« #29 : December 23, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »

Gary, I also have stewed over this! What an embarrassment to the rest of us for a few scrooge comments!  Hats off to our road crew, our water dept. guys, constables, animal control officers, town office people, select board, Planning Commission & DRB & all else who serve our town! Thankyou for the jobs you do so well!  May you all have a wonderful Christmas & a Happy, Safe New Year!!
: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
: