Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 02:47:11 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  How is everyone's garden doing this year?
« previous next »
: [1]
: How is everyone's garden doing this year?  ( 4580 )
MSKelly
: 18

« : July 17, 2010, 08:46:41 AM »

So far, we're getting lots of healthy, tasty raspberries but nothing else edible. We started seeing first signs of fruit on the tomatoes but no ripe ones yet. I'm really hoping that the tomatoes are good this year. We have bell peppers also and although the plant itself is looking healthy, nothing much is happening. We haven't grown them before so don't know what to expect. The cucumber looks well and the pumpkin would like to own the whole entire yard. My potted herbs have been super happy with the heat. We're excited to see the stalks for Mammoth Sunflowers getting bigger and stronger.
roadkill
: 80

« #1 : July 17, 2010, 10:05:06 AM »

my gardens doing great, Im picking about 14 summer squash a day, started picking cucumbers yesterday and picked 2 ripe tomatoes this morning, carrots are coming slow, peppers are doing well, i started pumpkins late this year and im glad, im not a farmer but it looks like a lot of people are going to have very ripe pumpkins in august, maybe we can move hallowween up a month or 2
Terri Santee
: 77

« #2 : July 17, 2010, 02:24:38 PM »

My garden is also doing great! No ripe tomatoes yet, but a lot of tomatoes on the plants. Have been enjoying zucchini, beet greens/beets, radishes, lettuce, peas and potatoes.
Cucumbers, green beans, and peppers are not far behind. My scallions are doing poorly and the eggplant leaves are being eaten by beetles or something. I can't seem to get rid of them. There are still flowers on the plants so maybe I will still get one or two.
I have a few pumpkins that are golf ball size and one that is softball size.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #3 : July 17, 2010, 03:52:52 PM »

if you want to see a magnificent garden go over to the corner of swamp and woodard road to bruce woodard now that is a garden,I asked but he would not tell me his secret
Dick Brown
: 414

« #4 : July 18, 2010, 11:49:02 AM »

Gary    My garden spot here in Dade City is doing well also.....it's located about five minutes from my house and called the Whistle Stop Vegetable Stand .  Requires only a little effort to pick up what I need , fruit or veggies , and of course , to wash off the toxic fertilers used in the fields down here.  I really don't even mind that one side of my face has big blemishes on it.... from eating the squash I assume...it only bothers me when I shave !!!!
Did you get my email reply to your question about the fuel tank ??  Enjoy the day & remember me to your family !!!
roadkill
: 80

« #5 : July 19, 2010, 06:25:28 PM »

Families doing greta Mr. Brown, Of course my fathers garden puts all to shame but Mom cant get dad in it, hes too busy cutting the new cross country trail out, theres going to be a day and i fear it to be close where growing your own food will be the way to go, gardening is definitely overrated when it comes to the time spent but enjoyable to know what your eating, i did get your e mail, thank you, Bothe Donald and Pat remember, the fuel tak was moved when the addition was put on above the library in 1989, thanks for steering me in the right direction, NOW, Your sure, Your not throwing in the towel to be a HEAT fan are you? Steinbrenners gone, it would have been nice if Billy Martin had otlived him and to hearf his take on the old bastard
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #6 : July 20, 2010, 08:52:14 AM »

This is the first time Sarah (MSKelly) and I have had a garden, or a yard and house for that matter!  We moved in the first week of May, and with all the other house-related stuff, the garden had to be a bit rushed.  The most prolific plant has been the wild black raspberries growing next to the vegetable garden.  There arent a lot of canes, but we're getting  1 - 1.5 handfuls a day of berries.  We've also started getting some really nice berries from the red raspberry canes I planted next to the path through to Steeples.  The garlic seems to be doing well even though I've never weeded it, the cucumbers have lots of blooms, the pumpkins are of course going wild and trying to assimilate the adjacent beds, carrots are small but look ok, and I noticed a couple semi-ripe tomatoes yesterday, in addition to many many small green tomatoes.

We have lots of random flowers growing around the yard, and a hummingbird shows up a few times a day at our bea-balm flowers out back.  Next year we plan to have more planted flowers, shrubs, and groundcover, and to start reducing the lawn/grass area.

Next year I also want to try growing potatoes, one of my favorite foods. :)

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: