Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 11:06:46 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Comcast Expansion if Fairfax ?
« previous next »
: [1]
: Comcast Expansion if Fairfax ?  ( 4606 )
JoeT
: 100

« : July 15, 2008, 07:17:20 AM »

I saw a newspaper article a few months ago that Comcast was to expand their coverage in many VT communities including Fairfax.  Does anyone happen to know in what parts of Fairfax Comcast will expand?

Regards,
Joe 

Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #1 : July 15, 2008, 08:13:51 AM »

I know they were sending us mail about all these deals we'd get.  We were excited - mainly for high speed internet.  Set up our appointment and were anxisouly awaiting the work crew to come and set things up.  they were an hour late and when they did show up they said there was no hook-up on our pole.  Well, obviously as it's never been in our area before.  He went to find it and came back shortly to say it was a half mile down the road.
a week later we got a letter, not apologizing for any mix-up or mis information, but rather informing us that they could do it, but we'd have to pay to have the line ran toour house and that woudl cost $3000.  If we got 6 other people between our house and where it ended, it would only cost the usual installation fee.

I guess that was the NEW GREAT deal they were going to give us.  haven't heard back from them since and that was last year sometime i think.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
JoeT
: 100

« #2 : July 16, 2008, 07:49:45 AM »

Wow, 3 grand is a deal !  Comcast wanted 73K and change to go 3 miles to our house.  On the bright side, Global Net (the wireless internet guys out of Essex) are supposed to be adding a transmitter by the end of August up on Georgia Mtn.  Their speeds are not as fast as cable, but close...and it beats the pants off dial up (a co worker of mine has their service and is quite happy).

Not to turn this in to a thread about broadband access - oh why not - we use Hughes Net right now and are extremely unhappy with the service.  Even for casual web surfing there are times of the day when dial up service is better.

OK, one more tidbit... the folks at Vermont Telcom authority, these are the "e-state" people, told me that by the end of September, Fairpoint will announce which telephone exchanges in VT will be built out to 100% DSL penetration.

Here's hoping Fairfax is on the list !

Joe

Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : July 16, 2008, 08:09:35 AM »

Joe, Don't worry about extensive responses on this - High Speed Internet is a hot button on everybody's mind that cannot get it - Never realized how slow dial-up was until I received info from some of the viewers of my forum who have given up looking at any of the photos due to the length of time it takes to download them.

Comcast is strange in the fact that I have not seen a map that identifies just where they do have service. Apparently from what Dan said in an earlier post, they don't always know themselves.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: