Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 04:29:10 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  the nitty gritty in Montpelier legislature
« previous next »
: [1]
: the nitty gritty in Montpelier legislature  ( 4269 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : May 02, 2009, 12:41:08 PM »

This is the last week for the legislature and we are down to the nitty gritty. The latest revenue reports showed the need for further reductions in spending in the state budget. Many legislators are thinking that new revenue will solve the fiscal problems faced by our state, but I feel it is impossible to increase taxes enough to raise that much new money. Some cuts have to be made. The time for serious work is here and now.

On Friday afternoon this past week, the majority leadership in the General Assembly made several suggestions of ways to reduce spending for FY2009 and FY2010. These suggestions will get us closer to making ends meet, but another $30 million or so of cuts is still needed to match the budget. I'd like to know your thoughts on these proposed cuts.  Here are the cuts as proposed:

Next Generation (scholarships and training for college kids)                     $4,000,000
Vermont Housing and Conservation (buying up development rights)         $3,000,000
Rest Areas (less hours)                                                                        $500,000
PILOT(payments to towns for tax loss on cemeteries, schools, churches)                                                                                         $1,000,000
Liquor Control                                                                                      $500,000
Legislature                                                                                           $240,000
Nursing Homes  (Medicaid)                                                                      $545,760
Tobacco Reductions                                                                               $957,800
Hospital reimbursements   (Medicaid and other)                                        $1,576,640
Flex Family Funding                                                                                    $75,800
Counter detailing  (drug  companies and doctors)                                         $100,000
June Grads (50% cut)                                                                              $291,000
AABD COLA                                                                                             $600,000
Current Use (forest land valued above $3000 per acre would get no additional Current  Use  benefit)                                                                                                 $3,000,000

Total cuts in spending  $16,387,000

Input from all of you is needed. Are there better ideas for cuts?  Other programs that should be reduced?  The intent here is to be as transparent as possible, so that all Franklin County voters understand the choices that have to be made by the legislature.  After the legislature makes these choices, we are going to see further downgrades in revenue.  The economy is not improving and will not get better for a while. Revenues are continuing to fall because Vermont and the entire nation are experiencing a tremendous downturn. As I’ve written before, this is the most serious fiscal downturn in decades.

Take a look at the list above, and if you have suggestions of items that may be cut, or suggestions of programs that should be cut instead of the ones on this list, send me a message. Many members of the legislature are working throughout the weekend because conference committee reports have to be on the floor by Wednesday.  But I will  check my e-mail frequently. If you have suggestions contact me at cbranagan@leg.state.vt.us   Be sure to e-mail me, since I can't get Henry's site on the computer at  the statehouse.

Representative Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
special ED

« #1 : May 03, 2009, 05:05:35 AM »

I dont think you should cut anything, you should be adding revenue to the general fund in an economic downturn...looks like we are going into overtime people
edakrupp

« #2 : May 03, 2009, 08:24:39 AM »

I am sure the Vt legislature would be most grateful for any concrete ideas you have on how to"add funds". I do believe that adding aditional taxes would only hurt the general public, since from where I sit basic needs are already being cut back at home, such as food, clothing and shelter.
special ED

« #3 : May 04, 2009, 05:08:01 AM »

are you kiding me they are adding bennies not cutting ,just last week they bought me direct tv,but not the full package just the basic service . I was bummed about that but they said they would try for the full package in  a few months
cedarman
: 370

« #4 : May 04, 2009, 09:24:30 AM »

ADDING anything right now is the last thing we need.

"Economic downturns" force companies to prune back dead weight and streamline to be more efficient, so should the government.  WE can all benefit from learning to get by with less.

The only thing I see on the list that I might have a concern about would be funding for scholarships and training.  I'm 30, with a bachelors degree, and it will be about 18 years before my kid is ready for college, but I am a strong advocate for education.  It might be expensive, but uneducated ignorance is far more expensive to society.

I would be interested in learning more about what benefits there are to the state from "buying development rights".   If this program is used to prevent development, i see that as a real problem considering Vermont has one of the tightest housing markets in the country.  I would advocate for cutting this program even deeper if it's purpose is to purchase land to prevent development.  We have enough building codes, etc. for that.
special ED

« #5 : May 04, 2009, 04:18:40 PM »

they just up`ed my food stamps from 120 a month to 200 a month
: [1]  
« previous next »
: