Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:37:52 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Private, Net-Metered Wind Power
« previous next »
: [1]
: Private, Net-Metered Wind Power  ( 3917 )
cedarman
: 370

« : November 03, 2010, 03:19:45 PM »

It's good to see the new zoning rules discuss private wind turbines.  I was a little irritated to read in the Public Service Board rules that home owners with power generating units connected to the grid cannot be paid for surplus power generated, AND they have to pay all service/connection fees for being connected to the grid.

I would think at a minimum, the state would mandate the power company must provide a credit toward service fees for surplus power generated at a rate equal to the lowest contracted power supply rate.   This would ensure the power companies are not paying a high rate for renewable power contributed to the grid, AND home owners willing to invest in renewable energy could at least have a power bill of $0 each month, but still be connected to the grid for power when needed.

I would really like to hear some feedback from our local reps about the prospects for this type of change in the future.   After reading the current rules, We have shelved our plans to install a small wind turbine.  Isn't that what a lot of anti-industrial wind turbine advocates are in favor of - more small units that don't disrupt the "natural views" of our state?
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #1 : November 04, 2010, 11:28:08 AM »

That definitely does not seem to be a fair situation.  Reimbursing/crediting privately-generated power would be an excellent way to encourage more development of it.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
trussell
: 870

« #2 : November 04, 2010, 06:51:30 PM »

cedarman,  I looked into installing some solar panels last year and ran into a similar issue.  CVPS would only reimburse for the power generated, and only at a certain rate (though I can't remember what that was).  Green Moutain Power, on the other hand, would pay quite a bit above the market rate- I think $0.18 per kwH...  I decided that even with the free money the federal government prints up (I figure they MUST just print it because Obama would never raise my taxes....) it would still take 18 years to pay for itself.

Oh well.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
cedarman

« #3 : November 05, 2010, 03:28:09 PM »

Well, at least it's encouraging to hear that the power companies are willing to pay for it.

http://www.state.vt.us/psb/rules/rules.stm

5.100 Regulations Pertaining to Construction and Operation of Net Metering Systems for the Purchase and Sale of Electricity from Small Electrical Generating Systems to and from Electric Companies

(A)
        "4. Any accumulated kilowatt-hour credits shall be used within 12 months from
             the month earned or shall revert to the electric company without any
              compensation to the net metering system customer."
cedarman

« #4 : November 16, 2010, 11:19:28 AM »

http://www.cvps.com/ProgramsServices/NetMeteringFAQs.aspx#13

From CVPS's website, Frequently asked questions

13. Will I get paid for electricity I feed back into the grid?
You will not receive cash or a check but will get full retail credit for energy generated by your system and exported to the grid.

16. What is the billing “true-up?”
The “true up” is the monthly review of your electric energy use and credits to remove any expired energy credits.  The NET Metering law states: “Any accumulated kilowatt-hour credits shall be used within 12 months, or shall revert to the electric company, without compensation to the customer.”  Any retired credits will be displayed on your CVPS bill. 
Please note: Credits from excess net generation are applied to electric energy charges only (net energy usage). Net generation credits:

1) cannot be applied to non-energy charges;
2) cannot be applied to other accounts;
3) cannot be carried over from one reconciliation period to the next;
4) cannot be applied to a water heater rental or security light rental;
5) cannot be applied to off peak water heating such as Rate 3 or 15.

Even if you have generation credits during a billing period you will still be billed for other charges (e.g. customer charges, demand charges, minimum charges, monthly meter charges).
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #5 : November 16, 2010, 07:50:18 PM »

Cedarman......

This is an area I don't know much about. For several years my committee assignment has been the tax and revenue committee, Ways  and Means. But let me do some checking about the possibility of credits for home generated power and I'll get back to you.

This will take me a few days, but I will find out whatever is in the works.  Interesting topic!

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Frankin-1, Fairfax/Georgia

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: