Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 08:48:29 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  What do you think?
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: What do you think?  ( 11337 )
Sue W.
: 167

« : September 30, 2009, 06:13:10 AM »

How do Fairfax residents feel about the possibility of Georgia designating BFA Fairfax as their high school of choice?
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : September 30, 2009, 06:39:41 AM »

An increase of 292 Students - I think not - This would certainly require some changes and most likely end up increasing our tax rate

Henry Raymond
edakrupp

« #2 : September 30, 2009, 07:01:38 AM »

They had a special meeting last night was anyone able to go? Are these new influx of students paying Tuition? If so, is it enough income to cover new teacers and supports needed to handle it? Presently I think we already get a large percentage of their students, how many do they have going to St. Albans, Essex, or Burlington?

I read act. 44 (It passed the House and the Senate)which bundles a bunch of educational issues into one bill- towards the end of the bill they do hint about consolidating schools- A great way to save money from the state side of things.
« : September 30, 2009, 01:19:05 PM edakrupp »
trussell
: 870

« #3 : September 30, 2009, 07:21:53 AM »

In an article I read, I believe the Principal (maybe Superintendent? I can't remember) said that the High School has enough capacity to handle the students from Georgia.  I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think a majority of them go to St.Albans at a much higher rate.  I'm sure more teachers would need to be hired, but it sounds like the school can physically house that many.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #4 : September 30, 2009, 08:12:27 AM »

There is an article about this meeting in today's Free Press.  The general sense of the meeting seems to be that the people of Georgia wish to keep school choice. 
Henry
Administrator

« #5 : September 30, 2009, 08:36:34 AM »

I personally am very thankful that back when I went to High School between 1945 and 1951 that there was school choice available.  If there had not been, I probably would not have been able to attend.  My first year of High School, I stayed with my grandmother over in Alburg and went to High School there.  In my sophomore year I started in St. Albans and went to St. Mary's, a parochial school.  The town paid the tuition, but my parents had to pay room & board for me of $10 for 5 days a week.  That may not seem like a lot, but it was a real financial burden for my parents.  I ended up quitting in my Sophomore Year mid way through, but did go back and finally graduated in 1951.  This was not a case where I could travel to another town each day back in those days as things were different.  We were able to work out something without a requirement to go to a certain town.

Henry Raymond
trussell

« #6 : September 30, 2009, 08:43:18 AM »

Thanks, eda- Those were the stats I was trying to remember- I guess I was way off!

I don't think adding more students is necessarily good or bad- it could go either way- I just hope that (1) the administration thinks this through sufficiently (and sets the tuition rate appropriately) before making Fairfax an option to Georgia and (2) no one's education/opportunities suffer because of the additional headcount.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
edakrupp

« #7 : September 30, 2009, 10:34:29 AM »

Limiting peoples choice is generally a bad thing, and is usually the last thing govenment inacts when there are no other choices. I hope that what ever legislation there is on the table, that will help save money, doesn't result in limiting peoples free choice.
7F30
: 47

« #8 : September 30, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »

Trevor you weren't far off, if you read the Free Press.  They have it as 167 go to ST. Albans, and 39 going to Fairfax.
Henry
Administrator

« #9 : September 30, 2009, 11:05:07 AM »

Lots of school activities and suspect it makes a big difference if you live near Milton, Fairfax or St. Albans as to your choice of schools.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #10 : September 30, 2009, 01:10:02 PM »

Leon Thompson has a write-up in today's St. Albans Messenger:

http://www.samessenger.com/NewsView.asp?ID=5581

Henry Raymond
edakrupp

« #11 : September 30, 2009, 01:11:51 PM »

Trevor, my bad, I got my BFA's reversed. Looks like it would have a HUGE impact on our school. Are there any benefits for us?
dearon
: 233

« #12 : September 30, 2009, 02:47:57 PM »

In speaking to the Georgia towns people, I find that the majority of them of quite upset with this.  At least those with children.  They like having the flexibility of choosing where their child goes. If they work in the Burlington/Essex area that sometimes influences their decision on Essex or So. Burlington schools.  I find that a good deal of them like the idea of BFA St. Albans as all the students coming there are from different towns therefore are in the same boat. 
When I lived in Georgia, I lived there because of school choice and to take that away is not right.   I think the child should be matched with the school, not all children thrive based on what town you happen to live in.  I sent mine to 3 differnet high schools based on their personality types. I had one that went to Fairfax and loved it, the others hated it and went elsewhere.
If a town can't afford to build and maintain a high school then students and their parents should have a choice of where it go, it it involves a ceiling on the spending amount then so be it.
I know of a few parents in the past that sent their children to private schools and that was quite expensive and unfair for the town.
trussell

« #13 : September 30, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »

I know of a few parents in the past that sent their children to private schools and that was quite expensive and unfair for the town.

I believe there IS a cap, set by each town no what they will spend for pupil.  Growing up in the Town of Essex, I was able to choose which school I went to, but the town would only subsidize up to whatever Essex Jct High School was charging.  I had a friend that utilized that and went to a boarding school in NH and his parents only had to pay the difference... A few others went to Rice and I think their tuition was lower.

JKandBoys
: 15

« #14 : September 30, 2009, 03:24:27 PM »

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that if Georgia designated Fairfax as the High School of choice, the tuition would be capped at whatever Fairfax chose to charge. In other words, Georgia parents would still have school choice but they would have to make up the tuition difference if they chose a school with a tuition charge that exceeds that of the designated school.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: