Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 06:45:50 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  Library Announcements
| | |-+  Joint Board Agenda for 11/20/14
« previous next »
: [1]
: Joint Board Agenda for 11/20/14  ( 3256 )
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« : November 14, 2014, 09:54:45 AM »

Fairfax Community Library
Joint Board Meeting
November 20, 6:30. Fairfax Room

Agenda;

Correspondence
Public Input
Continuation of 11/13  discussion/review of  updated Fairfax Community Library Policy and vote.
Continue  discussion of petitions in the library.

Barbara
: 270

« #1 : November 14, 2014, 10:00:58 AM »

I am unable to attend the meeting but will offer correspondence with my public opinion. It would be an error to allow petitions to be placed in the library.  The public hallway outside the door is a great place for all of us to advocate for our particular cause.  Our library should remain free of all bias whether intentional or not, and not be a place for "campaigning".
Fairfax Librarian
: 870

« #2 : November 17, 2014, 01:01:34 PM »

From the Public Library Director:
Some information you might have been missing:  Petitions have been allowed in the library with no ill effects for several years.  A public library is the place for free and open discourse and we generally  support freedom of speech and freedom to read.  The hallway outside the library is not "public", but school grounds.  Inside the library is both public and a school library.  Because of this, inside the library is the most appropriate place, since it is a public space.  We would not discriminate or be "biased" based on content, as that would constitute discrimination.
Hope this helps with understanding the discussion.
Feel free to ask more questions if you have them, attend a meeting, or contact a trustee.
Thanks for your input.

Debbie Landauer
« : November 17, 2014, 01:29:46 PM Fairfax Librarian »
: [1]  
« previous next »
: