Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 09:23:35 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  House Bill 83 (sponsored by Rep. Waite-Simpson (D-Essex)
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: House Bill 83 (sponsored by Rep. Waite-Simpson (D-Essex)  ( 10799 )
Thor

« : March 26, 2011, 10:02:40 AM »

Carolyn, Gary,

Do either of you have any visibility on this bill? Supposedly there was a meeting regarding this (Mandatory Gun Storage Law), yesterday at the House at 1pm. Did either of you know about this, attend this or have any input on this bill? This bill was introduced by Rep. Waite-Simpson, to mandate how we should store weapons in our homes.

Would seem to me she should be more concerned with the ineptitude of business being conducted in the State House, and not worry about how things are done in our homes!

Seems they brought in a Harvard professor to discuss "gun safety", which doesn't really make sense to me, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt right now that he is a weapons expert and knows all about carrying, utilizing, maintaining and storing weapons. But probably not... he is probably just a liberal, anti-gun guy who is going to spout out a bunch of statistics and point fingers at how things are done with the endstate being pointing blame at gunowners for the Gabby Giffords shooting.

But I welcome any info that you both could provide on this. Thanks.
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #1 : March 26, 2011, 10:18:33 AM »

Hi Thor,

You may remember the very sad accidental shooting in Essex which followed an equally sad teen suicide. The sponsors of this bill say measures in the bill are intended to protect children. I am not a sponsor of the bill, and do not support it. There are more appropriate ways to protect children from the dangers of guns, starting with proper education.   

Rep. Carolyn Branagan 

Carolyn Branagan
Thor

« #2 : March 26, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »

Absolutely concur Carolyn. Thanks.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #3 : March 26, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »

IF IT GOES THROUGH WILL THEY be buying me a new gun safe?
Thor

« #4 : March 26, 2011, 05:03:18 PM »

Of course they will Ed!! They will just get someone else to pay for it!! And next they will be sending the jackbooted thugs to your door to make sure you're in compliance!!
rod anode

« #5 : March 26, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »

what does it mean for a society when the people are afraid of their government and not the government afraid of the people? we are in trouble
fletchtb
: 310

« #6 : March 26, 2011, 10:36:34 PM »

I don't know, but it sounds expensive!
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #7 : March 27, 2011, 04:36:13 PM »

What a crock of ......!!! Here is Idea how about they hold the guy that owned the gun responsible instead of trying to punish everyone. 

On a side note I feel bad that the kid took his own life but if he didn't have a gun he would have found another way to do it.  People kill themselves everyday without using a firearm.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
rod anode

« #8 : March 27, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »

yea like driving on rt 128
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« #9 : March 31, 2011, 01:21:10 PM »

Firearm safety is an important issue. I was a firearms safety instructor in 1980 and recognize the importance of families providing clear guidelines and instruction to family members in the safe use and storage of firearms. I see this bill as increasing that awareness especially among families that do not have a long history of safe firearm practice. Trigger locks are only one consideration. As a sponsor, I hoped to elevate the discussion to one of access by individuals who are not the owners. It is the access to someone else weapon and recent suicides that is the problem. But the manner of  securing their own weapons should be made by the owner not government.
The bill as it currently exists will not become law because of several flaws.
1. It is unenforceable as no one is going to check on whether it is being done
2. The penalties will not be a deterrent as no one will think it will happen in their family and also serve no purpose as punishment because a loss of family or friend can not be made up by a fine
3. It is not the role of the government to control what goes on in a home.
A better solution would be to provide instruction for students in firearm safety, especially those that have no intention of ever getting a hunting license. Guns are a part of life, they are available, and even those that don't own one should have some understanding of how to handle them safely.
If this bill does emerge in its present form I will not vote for it.
Gary
rod anode

« #10 : March 31, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE GOVERNMENT PAY FOR SELF DEFENSE HANDGUN LESSONS  I ALWAYS WANTED TO TAKE A CORSE IN THAT
Stand Alone Defense

« #11 : March 31, 2011, 02:31:14 PM »

Swing up to my place Ed, I'll give you a lesson I use to teach tactical pistol shooting in the Military!! I'll even pull out the AR15 and we can do a quick course on CQB(Close Quarters Battle) it will be fun!!   
« : March 31, 2011, 02:40:03 PM FXDHS »

trussell
: 870

« #12 : March 31, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »

Thanks Gary and Carolyn for your feedback.  And thanks for not voting for it! :)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Stand Alone Defense

« #13 : March 31, 2011, 02:41:27 PM »

Same hereThank you both!!

mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #14 : March 31, 2011, 03:20:18 PM »

Yes, thank you both for voting no!  Hey Josh, when I do go pistol shopping, I know who to call to get training!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: