Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:28:58 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  New Restaurant In St. Albans
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: New Restaurant In St. Albans  ( 14907 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 07, 2009, 12:43:44 PM »

Toni Stone sent me the following note - Anybody else been there - Anybody have prices of lunch there?

Wanted you to know there is a jewel of a new restaurent in St  Albans down by the railroad.  Its run by grads of culinary institute...its amazing... excellent food...huge portions enuf to take home...french fried pickles...best for lunches..the salads are great...dinner is good but ..lunch is a better buy....nice place to take someone...

CALLED ONE FEDERAL
  ....at lake and federal streets.
    turn down lake street
   at rail city market on main street..
      its an old foundry
   with tin walls, high ceilings, and fun staff people...
   feels a little like NYC inside. i think you might be amazed as I was to find it there. wow.

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #1 : October 07, 2009, 01:29:57 PM »

I've been there three times- once at the bar, once for dinner, and once for the Sunday Brunch.  The Brunch was amazing, although if I remember it was a little pricey for breakfast- something like $15/person- but the quality (and quantity, of course) of the food was definitely worth it.  I don't remember dinner prices, but they were probably a bit higher than other restaurants in that area- but again the food was excellent (including the fried pickles).

I would dare say that this is my favorite restaurant in Franklin County!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
fletchtb
: 310

« #2 : October 07, 2009, 02:42:36 PM »

Nice write up in Seven Days about them...

http://7d.blogs.com/blurt/2009/06/best-bites-one-federal.html

I've been wanting to eat there myself. One of these days we'll make it there for a meal.
gpdvt
: 56

« #3 : October 07, 2009, 02:50:02 PM »

We've been there 3 times also, once for supper(the night they opened), once for brunch and once more for dinner.  1st time it was a bit chaotic, food was good but wasn't "wowed". Didn't like the brunch the day we went. Odd assortment(spaghetti on a brunch line??), set up of line was odd..missing serviing untensils. 3rd time was the charm, great service,(though we did know the server),  food was very good..mussels "wowed" us. The remodel was nicely done, very classy without being pretentious. Probably go back. Hope it succeeds as St. A is in desparate need of an upscale restaurant. They certainly have a challenge though, restaurant biz is tough enought as it is not adding the current economy and the history of restaurant failures in this area.
ASDuling
: 75

« #4 : October 07, 2009, 06:32:17 PM »

I've also been 3 times. Once for apps, once for dinner, and once for dessert and every time was OK. Nothing spectacular, but it tasted good, the restaurant was clean and tastefully decorated. We brought our young daughter for dinner and ended up sharing our meals with her rather than ordering for her. There is no kids menu but there are plenty of Sides to chose from.

Warning about dessert: Ask for prices! There is no menu, they just tell you what is offered that day and don't mention the prices. If we'd known the prices we probably wouldn't have ordered or shared a dessert. I think my husband's apple crisp cost $9.00 and my chocolate cake was $8.00.
MikeF9
: 1994

« #5 : October 07, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »

Eight or nine dollars for dessert? They should give you some free Tums for when the acid hits when you get the bill.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
edakrupp

« #6 : October 08, 2009, 06:25:00 AM »

I'll be going up there this week end for dinner, and will be pleased to give it a review- sounds yummy!
Henry
Administrator

« #7 : October 08, 2009, 07:58:30 AM »

A forum member sent me a note and told me that Cheryl Boissoneault owns the building and the restaurant is run by Marcus & Erica, but did not know their last name.

Also, this is the same building as the Old Foundry. Cheryl and her partner, Mark Ledoux, did a wonderful job redoing the inside of the restaurant. They removed the old carpet and put in nice light wood floors, painted to brighten up the walls, but still left the old railroad “charm” by keeping many of the older pictures of downtown St. Albans. They also tried to not make the inside be so “chopped up” and they took down some walls.

For myself, I am not a big fan of restaurants that have menus without prices, no matter how good the food is.  In many cases I go and get takeouts and Maryann goes on the Internet and decides what she wants and prints it out for me.

I don't usually get deserts with a meal, and certainly would not even think of paying 8 or 9 dollars for a desert along with a meal.  The forum member had sent me a menu, but it had no prices and did not come out clear enough for me to put up so people could read it.

Toni Stone mentioned that the Lunch was more affordable.  It is certainly good to get all the input, both pro and con rather than have somebody recommend it and get there and find out for yourself.

When I went there for my 50th Class Reunion back in 2001 we had a tough time finding a parking place.  Maryann was able to walk with a cane back then and the rooms were quite broken up and the bathrooms not too handicap accessible.  Those are some of the main reasons we have not been back.

If I ever get my hands on a menu with prices that will scan clear, will be glad to put it up.

Henry Raymond
edakrupp

« #8 : October 08, 2009, 10:27:13 AM »

I've worked in restaurants for a good portion of my life and found that most people start bawlking if dessert prices are more than $5.00 (with a 40% food loss percentage, it still leaves a comfortable range for profit)

$5.00 also a good base price for a pint of good beer!-

FYI- most alcohol sales have a 500% profit margin, and desserts are also high up in profit too.
Most perishable fresh fish and meat prices have low profit, due to food loss and cost.
Mummy
: 280

« #9 : October 08, 2009, 06:40:59 PM »

I enjoy excellent food and have been to five star restaurants outside of VT and I have NEVER seen $9.00 dessert, NEVER.  Perhaps $7!  Everyone enjoys a dessert when going to an up scal restaurant and I hope they reconsider their $8 and $9 pricing.  They should look into smaller portions and $6 price tag! 
tfence
: 257

« #10 : October 09, 2009, 06:09:58 AM »

Hi Henry,
Their last name is Hamblett. I did some work over there. I put a vinyl fence on the stage outside in the courtyard to hide their dumpsters and storage.

We are here for all your Outdoor Living Needs.
visit us at http://feerickfence.com/
also check us out on facebook
Henry
Administrator

« #11 : October 09, 2009, 07:50:54 AM »

Mark Ledoux sent me a link to One Federal - You need very good eyes to read it as the print is very, very small, but you can check it out at:

http://www.onefederalrestaurant.com/of.swf

Henry Raymond
Suzy
: 429

« #12 : October 09, 2009, 11:53:56 AM »

It looks really good, and is making me hungry, but their web site says they have a "Victorian quart yard."  That's going to bother me for the rest of the day.  I did email them to fix it.  I hope they do it soon!

Suzy Spellchecker
trussell
: 870

« #13 : October 09, 2009, 01:08:30 PM »

... but their web site says they have a "Victorian quart yard."

Perhaps thats the outside area where one can enjoy a quart of their favorite beverage (we can handle more than a pint around here!) ???

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
DrewCrash
: 104

« #14 : October 09, 2009, 04:43:40 PM »

so my wife has been twice and truly enjoyed it. So we are going to go Saturday night. As long as its better than Jeff's, I will be happy. I love Vermont, but I hate its restaurants. Its the one thing I miss about the state that I originated in...
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: