Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 05:45:12 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Interesting Headlines After I Bought My Mr. Coffee Yesterday
« previous next »
: [1]
: Interesting Headlines After I Bought My Mr. Coffee Yesterday  ( 7489 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 18, 2009, 07:22:18 AM »

Fortunately, my big Hamilton Beach Brewmaster sprung a leak after Maryann and I both had our last cups of coffee.  I had an old Mr. Coffee Maker down cellar, but thought I would take a run down to J & L and see if they had any Mr. Coffee Makers.  Sure enough they did, so purchased one, just to make sure that this morning would not start off bad.

This morning I ran across the following headline:

"Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc. has teamed up with Mr. Coffee's manufacturer to develop a machine to sell the Waterbury-based roasters' single-cup coffee servings."

Now, we do have someone on the forum who works for Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc who might comment on this.

By the way, I have nothing against Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Coffee or their little single cup coffee maker.  For years now I have started my coffee maker once when I get up in the morning and do refills from there on until all 12 cups are gone, usually by 11 a.m.  Somehow making 12 individual cups of coffee doesn't turn me on.  As for coffee, I use Folgers, and have for years, and buy the big 380 Cup Size container of coffee from Costco for $9.  I think there is a song with the title "Change Doesn't Come Easy".  Yup!!!!! Thats Me.

Oh, by the way, recent findings say that Coffee does have some benefits for you, besides making you less grumpy in the morning.

Click on the link below to see the Green Mountain Coffee Roasters/Mr. Coffee article:

« : June 18, 2009, 07:27:18 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #1 : June 18, 2009, 09:12:25 AM »

You guessed it, Henry.  I have my $0.02 to add ;)

The short version of the story is that Keurig, Inc (a subsidiary of Green Mountain Coffee Roasters) announced that they are licensing Mr. Coffee to be able to make Keurig machines.  I haven't heard if they will be similar models to what's already offered, or something more economical (For a lot of people, $99 is hard to swallow for a coffee maker!)  Either way, for those that drink 2 or 3 cups a day, this is much more economical than brewing a whole pot- plus there are hundreds of varieties of coffee, tea, and hot cocoa available from 13 different roasters (although none as good as GMCR!), so you have lots of choices.  And having a hot cups of coffee in about a minute? Amazing!

It's ok that you drink Folgers, Henry.  I still like you.  At least you drink it black ;)  But I'll get you more of the good stuff soon- I'll make a premium coffee drinker out of you yet!

And yes, I've heard that those who drink coffee regularly are less likely to develop colon cancer.  But 12 cups? Wow, Henry... Remember that caffeine tends to dehydrate you, so be sure to increase your water intake.  We don't want to loose you!

-Trevor

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : June 18, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »

I have been waiting all morning for a response from you Trevor - I have been drinking coffee for as long as I can remember and I remember some things when I was about 3 1/2 years old and I will be turning 76 in a few months.  I use Splenda & Cremora in my coffee - Never could drink it black - Back on the farm used to drink it with two teaspoons of sugar lightened with heavy cream - A day without coffee would be torture - That is the worst part about fasting for some of the tests you have to take.

Henry Raymond
fletchtb
: 310

« #3 : June 18, 2009, 10:46:30 AM »

I converted to drinking black coffee at the end of my freshman year of college and I am glad. As long as there is coffee ready, I can never be disappointed that a necessary add-in like cream or sugar isn't available.
MikeF9
: 1994

« #4 : June 18, 2009, 04:22:48 PM »

My first cup of coffee was mid-to-late 1980's. I was working in the lumber yard at Spartan Industries. Our forklift mechanic arrived around 8:30am and brought coffee for the yard foreman and I. I never drank coffee before, didn't want to be rude, so after adding milk and about four sugars, I got it down.
Blech.
I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for almost 3 hours.
I don't do coffee anything. Ice cream, candy, whatever, it's not for me.

Dad, on the other hand, was a professional. We had a Corning Ware percolator that held...........a lot of coffee. Enough for breakfast, fill a thermos to take to work, heat up some for supper, and maybe a cup in the evening. Milk and two sugars...I think. Margie will remember.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Margie
: 156

« #5 : June 18, 2009, 09:27:22 PM »

Yes, Daddy took his coffee with milk and two sugars.  The coffee had to be a certain color - that was how I knew if I had put enough milk in.  Every night at 8 pm, he had his last cup of the day.  When I was older I heard, "Bebe, would you get me a cup of coffee please?" 

We have one of the Keurig machines at the office.  Everyone loves it.  And we aren't making pots of coffee all day.  Everyone has their own favorites so I order 11 different flavors to have on hand at a time.  Crazy, Iknow, but like Henry, they have to have their coffee.  And a couple of people have bought machines for home use.  I think, Henry, if you tried it, you might really li ke it!  You might like Dark Magic - the biggest mover at work.
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #6 : June 19, 2009, 06:42:20 AM »

Ahh coffee the elixer of life...for me anyway. (Followed closely by SunDrop soda).  Down here there is one place that sells GMCR coffee (a newstand so its not available in bulk), but it is at a mall 20+ miles away.  I am assuming that when the Knoxville plant gets up and running we may see it a bit more here.

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
msm
: 211

« #7 : June 19, 2009, 06:51:50 AM »

Well my second posting on coffee --  It's THEE only way to start the day --   My Grandmother & Grandfather turned me on to my favorite drink -- I was less than 10 years old --- At that time, half Coffee,  half Cream , two sugars --

Now,  like many of you,  I drink mine,  with half & half  with two Spenda Packets --  I just finished my second cup this AM --- 

I'm heading back now for my 3rd cup ---  it doesn't get much better than this -- ;-)

Mike
trussell

« #8 : June 19, 2009, 09:23:06 AM »

Yes, Brian, we have a huge building in Knoxville that we're trying to fill quickly with production- and I'm sure the plan will be to take over the south with our amazing product! But if you want to buy it in bulk, there are plenty of websites that sell it!  At least you have a supplier though.

I'm not too keen on this dirty "cream and sugar" habit that seems to be coming to the surface.  I had more faith in Henry's followers than that. hehe

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #9 : June 20, 2009, 05:21:52 AM »

I remember a few weeks ago when Henry's coffee maker went down.

Just the day after that, OURs went down.

So the wife got tired if boiling water and pouring it over the grounds after a week. (She awakes earlier than me, she has a real job.)

So she went and got this.

Seems something is missing to me and I still haven't attempted to make a , pot??, because it scares me!
Where does the dern coffee go after it brews?

I just push a button and my cup is filled.
Magic I guess.

Henry
Administrator

« #10 : June 20, 2009, 07:56:02 AM »

I just happen to think when I saw that picture of that thing that makes coffee you put up about the old percolators.  Mother would put it on the stove and it would percolate for, I don't know how long, then she would take the stem and basket out of the pot and put it on the back of the stove to stay warm.  Always were a few coffee grounds that went over the top of the basket into the coffee. 

My mother-in-law had a real fancy chrome electric percolator that sat on a tray with the sugar and creamer.  Again, it was not automatic.  She would plug it in after dinner when people had their coffee and then unplug it when it was done.

I believe when they made coffee for large groups like a community dinner that they used to put the coffee in a cloth bag and let it boil for a while until the coffee was of sufficient strength.

Oh yes, we have come a long way making coffee.  Not sure how you do make coffee over a campfire, but I am sure somebody out there does.

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn

« #11 : June 20, 2009, 09:57:11 PM »

Cowboy Coffee.

Mike Raburn

« #12 : June 21, 2009, 01:18:20 AM »

This last job I was on my superintendent brought in an "old fashioned" electric percolator to make coffee in the job shack.
Now I am not that old but I knew how to use it but the younger guys had no clue.

As for over a camp fire, I would think it is the same principle. Hot water over grounds.
Add grounds, a filtration media, and water. Bring to a near boil, when you hear it percolating then move it to a cooler area of the fire for 10 to 15 minutes later.
Then viola, coffee.

« : June 21, 2009, 06:27:47 AM Henry »
trussell

« #13 : June 22, 2009, 10:11:12 AM »

The French Press is known as the way to make the best cup of coffee- you combine the grounds and (hot) water, then filter out the grounds after it's steeped for several minutes.  This way you get more of the oils and flavor extracted from the beans.This is probably the easiest way to make it camping too- just heat water over the fire and combine!

Does anyone have a campfire coffee bean roaster I can borrow?

I do know someone that has used cheesecloth to make coffee.  I don't know how it came out.

I recently had to make 50 cups using a percolator and realized that I've never had to do that before.  Luckily, Pauline Lavallee was there to help me!

MikeF9
: 1994

« #14 : June 22, 2009, 05:40:04 PM »

Here's a blast from the past:

Back in the first few years (early 1990's)of working at the school, we custodians used to meet and take break in the school kitchen.
For those of you that have been in town only the last 10 years, the kitchen used to be where the HS Art room is now.
Anyway, Larry Leach, then head custodian, used to make a big pot of coffee, using one of those 50 cup units. Anyone from the staff used to help themselves. He made a little lesser amount when there was no school, because just the custodians and office staff were usually the only ones there.

One time during vacation, Larry and most of the other custodians had Friday off. Tim Collins and I were working. Not sure how to make coffee with the unit, we checked to see how much coffee was left from the day before. There seemed to be enough for the few people who would be there, so we added some water, and turned it on and let it re-perc.
The bookkeeper at that time was Judy Miller-Bell, and she popped in and asked if anyone made coffee.
Tim and I told her what we did.
Judy had a horrified look on her face and started exclaiming, "OH! OH! ROOSEVELT COFFEE! OH! OH! MY FATHER USED TO DO THAT! I am not drinking that! I'm going to have to go somewhere and buy a cup."
OK, suit yourself.
We did have a student worker with us and he tried a cup.
Me: "So.....how is it?"
Him: "It's............pretty bad."

Hey, we tried.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: