Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 03:24:00 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  School Budget Cuts
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: School Budget Cuts  ( 11175 )
Mummy
: 280

« : January 31, 2009, 09:42:36 AM »

A huge Thank You to the School Board Directors for doing the right thing in cutting the full-day Kindergarten "this" year!
Also, I thought the areas in which this years savings were identified were reasonable - Thank You!
CJB
: 16

« #1 : January 31, 2009, 01:44:14 PM »

In light of all of the previous posts regarding how fiscally irresponsilble the school budget was and how the related tax burden impacts residents, I'm surpised that a cut of a few hundred thousand from the budget is satisfactory.  The tax savings is likely not more than a few bucks to individual households.  I guess the real issue wasn't the money, just the principle that 'I know what's best for everyone else's children'.
special ED

« #2 : January 31, 2009, 03:45:39 PM »

they could cut a million off of it and I would still vote no
mirjo
: 785

« #3 : January 31, 2009, 05:44:48 PM »

Seriously, I have to ask...since it isn't possible to really slash a budget for an entity that needs money to operate adequately and every single thing could be contested right down to the toilet paper (perhaps we should all save those useless catalogues that come in the mail to donate to the school), WHAT is going to make anyone happy??

The answer is....ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!! There is always someone (or a group of people) who will have an issue with something. It's a school, unfortunately schools operate with public funding and until some genius comes up with a better idea, that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

I'm surprised any town anywhere is even able to get people to be on the school board being a constant target for ridicule because you have to make decisions about what to do with tax money and try to balance it so the school/students don't decline and taxpayers don't have insane increases.

"In light of all of the previous posts regarding how fiscally irresponsilble the school budget was and how the related tax burden impacts residents, I'm surpised that a cut of a few hundred thousand from the budget is satisfactory.  The tax savings is likely not more than a few bucks to individual households.  I guess the real issue wasn't the money, just the principle that 'I know what's best for everyone else's children'." CJB

"they could cut a million off of it and I would still vote no"--special ED

I'm not sure that the budget was fiscally irresponsible in the first place with an increase of less than 4%, which has been cut down to a 1.49% over last year. I don't know what would have to happen for the school budget to remain the same as last year. I don't know if that is even possible.

I also don't think it would matter if we jammed the kids in a one room school with an outhouse and candles, made them walk to school, had their parents supply the books and only paid 1 teacher. People who mostly don't  have children in school would still be unhappy about the budget and parents would be furious with the conditions. There is never a winner.  I think humans just need adversity to thrive.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
7F24
: 253

« #4 : January 31, 2009, 08:54:24 PM »

Schools should be important to everyone, not just people with children.  We have problems in this country that need to be fixed, like the economy, fuel sources, wars, social security, the list could go on for awhile.  The only real answer is education.  We need smart, well educated people, now more than ever.  I believe you get what you pay for.  The cost of educating the children of our community is something I am more than willing to pay my share of. 
     Remember, it's cheaper to educate than it is to incarcerate.

I also would like to thank all the people that have served on the school board over the years. These people pay taxes, they make decisions based on what they think is best for our school, they give up time with their families, people get mad at them, and it costs them more money.  That is one job I couldn't/wouldn't do.
Mummy

« #5 : February 01, 2009, 12:45:44 AM »

From all the "successful" children I have seen (now that my child is raised and on their own) the success
has MUCH to do with MOM and DAD ... not the education system that they came from!  Look around and
compare ... the apple does not fall far from the tree!

Sorry, I disagree with "throwing" money at a problem and expecting it to be fixed. 
It just does not work that way, regardless of how much money is spent. 

WE ALL KNOW WHERE IT BEGINS  ... in the HOME! 
Sorry, the Teacher can not fix what isn't reinforced after 2:45pm! 
The educational system can not fix what has NOT be taught from birth!

special ED

« #6 : February 01, 2009, 06:00:00 AM »

mummy you are right and will not try to add to your comment ,but it seems we are the minority
7F24

« #7 : February 01, 2009, 07:57:56 AM »

Mummy, it's obvious "successful" is good enough for you, but it's not for me.  I believe this country needs people that can think.  I agree that the home is where education begins, but limiting your children's education to what you know is not my idea of an education.
CJB

« #8 : February 01, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »

Educating our children is primarily a parental responsibility.  This includes what we teach them at home, how we interact with them, and providing them with social and educational opportunities outside of the home.  I do not know anyone who sends there children to school to be "Fixed".  The assumption that everyone relies on formal schooling as the only means of educating their children is quite ridiculous. 
Mummy

« #9 : February 01, 2009, 01:28:52 PM »

7F24,  being successful does indicate that these past graduates of BFA Fairfax are THINKERS!
 Look around here in Fairfax, there are many successful graduates when the School Budget was far less than it is today! 

Hey 7F24, by chance are you a "property" owner or a renter here in Fairfax? 
7F24

« #10 : February 01, 2009, 01:29:32 PM »

CJB

Who said anything about sending them to school to be fixed?  I agree that the parents are responsible for providing them with "social and educational opportunities outside of the home".   That is why I support GOOD schools, and am willing to pay my share of the cost of that education.
7F24

« #11 : February 01, 2009, 01:33:15 PM »

MUMMY

I have owned a home here in Fairfax for 20 years, why?
7F24

« #12 : February 01, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »

CJB

Sorry, I reread MUMMY's post and I see what you were referring to.

MUMMY

If I were a renter would I not have a right to my opinion?   Rent is based on costs for the landlord, if taxes go up, rent would also.  Do you think only the rich land barons have the right to an opinion?
CJB

« #13 : February 01, 2009, 01:44:17 PM »

7F24

I agree with the position you described in your posts.  I was referring to Mummy's comment  "the Teacher can not fix what isn't reinforced after 2:45pm!"  
Mummy

« #14 : February 01, 2009, 02:02:26 PM »

7F24,

The list of unpaid taxes posted in the Town Office appears to be longer this year!
That was why I asked if you owned property here in town or not! 

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: