Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 07:34:29 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Glad I Didn't Watch Baseball When I Was Working
« previous next »
: [1]
: Glad I Didn't Watch Baseball When I Was Working  ( 9061 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 06, 2008, 07:23:33 AM »

At 12:47 a.m. in the 12th inning, the Red Sox lost (5 to 4) - What a stressful evening.  I suspect a lot of working people watched the game, knowing full well they had to go to work this morning, but I guess they will be trying again tonight.

Henry Raymond
fletchtb
: 310

« #1 : October 06, 2008, 11:21:16 AM »

As a Yankee fan, I can't say I am too sad about the Red Sox losing a game.

Go Angels!
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #2 : October 06, 2008, 11:39:31 AM »

As a Yankee fan, I can't say I am too sad about the Red Sox losing a game.

Go Angels!

Henry!! Can we ban this guy? :):):) Go Sox!!!

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : October 06, 2008, 12:10:30 PM »

No Brian, we have to be tolerant of the misguided!!

Henry Raymond
fletchtb
: 310

« #4 : October 06, 2008, 04:45:53 PM »

Thanks Henry. I appreciate the tolerance.
MikeF9
: 1994

« #5 : October 06, 2008, 06:21:35 PM »

Superstition rears it's ugly head.
The first two games, I went to bed before it was over and the Sox won. Sunday night I stayed up and watched it through to the end, and they lost.
When they had the bases loaded in the 10th and didn't score, I thought, Uh oh, I had a funny feeling the Sox might lose. Tonight they HAVE to win, because we can't go back to Anaheim.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #6 : October 07, 2008, 07:05:37 AM »

Sox Win!! Sox Win!! 

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
msm
: 211

« #7 : October 07, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »

Red Sox Nation -- Congratulations on a Nice Season --- But this transplanted Vermonter, now living in Tampa, is cheering for another team.    I know I'm totally out-numbered --- But I have to speak out for my Tampa Bay Rays --  I have tickets to Game 2 -- and will be cheering loud and proud for these Loveable Rays !!   The best Story in baseball in years,  who though the lowly Rays, the Last Place Rays,  who never beat Boston or those Nasty Yankees == We beat them during the regular season,  including taking 2 out of 3 in the best venue in baseball ..  The Rays are Ready !! They have "  Starting Pitching,  Bull-Pen terrors,  Closer,  Defense,  Power, Speed and most important,  team chemistry -- This a young team that learned how to beat the Big Boys this past summer.  We are now playing in October -- We have Home Field advantage and had the best record at home in the majors -- You could not have asked for a better match-up --  Bring On the defending World Champions ... The Over Achieving Rays are ready to dethrone Red Sox Nation !! ..  Get your Cowbells Out -- and Cheer on the new kids on the block ---  Go Rays !!

I accept all feedback -- positive and negative --  I entered enemy terrortory and perhaps Henry may even ban me from his forum  :-)  But thought you guys should know the Rays are for real and this should be ONE HECK of Series -- I am ready to stay up late and watch my Boys of Summer become the Men of Fall !!    Go Rays !!

Go Rays !!!!

Mike McNall ---- BFA  Class of 1977 
greenek
: 54

« #8 : October 07, 2008, 10:40:57 AM »

Mike,

Congratulations on your team advancing to the ALCS. It is exciting anytime that your favorite team gets into post season play. That being said, playing baseball in October is a lot different than during the regular season. I give Tampa Bay all the credit for their overall winning record during the regular season, including their record against Boston. As The Angels just found out, once the regular season is over, all of those statistics have no bearing on what happens during the playoffs.

Tampa Bay does have a good team, but the Red Sox have far more depth. If you look at players like Pedroia, who has MVP numbers, and a very steady hitter; his batting was virtually non-existant during the ALDS. Look at who hit the walk off hit last night to end the game - Lowrie, who has played very well for an iinjured Lugo. I could go on and on, but I am excited about the Red Sox ability to move past Tampa Bay. With the intensity that these 2 teams have played in the past, it should be an excellent series.

Kevin
Dick Brown
: 414

« #9 : October 07, 2008, 01:47:24 PM »

Henry
In my humble opinion, the hit that produced the end of the game last was set up by the strikeout of Lowrie by the same pitcher the niight before, not because of the curve ( which everyone in fenway and all the watchers around the nation knew was coming ) but because the pitcher seemed to be  so confident of his sucess against Lowrie that he allowed Bay to get a huge lead off second, not checking the runner before throwing, which the Angels as a team almost never overlook. As we know,the subsequent hit brought Bay ( much faster then Manny by the way ) sliding across just before the ball arrived from the rightfielder, who made a good throw.   Back in the day, John Gillis used to say that not paying attention to fundamentals costs you, and it certainly cost the Angels this time.  By the way, a year ago I was fortunate enough to watch Mike McNall's son, Mitchell, play baseball in a youth league program in Florida, and he is a heck of an athlete & ballplayer.....hopefully he follows his grandmother Pat's loyalty and continues to root for the Sox !!!!                Dick Brown         
MikeF9

« #10 : October 07, 2008, 09:20:45 PM »

The ALCS is going to be a tough one. The Red Sox bats have to come alive for EVERYONE. Consistant hitting, and getting more than three or four runs a game. No Mike Lowell will hurt, although Kotzy was great at first base.

By the way, both Margie and I stayed up until the end Monday night.
And it was Margie that was fuming that Francona pulled Lester in the 8th.
Makes you wonder if he left him in.
It was a great finish. At least the Sox won.

MSoule
: 15

« #11 : October 08, 2008, 07:14:04 PM »

I'm in sports heaven right now.  Sox are going deep in the playoffs, Tennessee Titans are 5-0, Vanderbilt is 5-0 for the first time since WWII (after a stunning win over Auburn), and my most beloved Nashville Predators take to the ice Friday night for their season opener in St. Louis.  I'm really looking forward to the Rays-Sox series.  Great young core players and pitchers on both teams.  I believe we'll be seeing this playoff match up quite often in the future.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #12 : October 10, 2008, 04:40:51 PM »

I would love to see Manny return to Fenway and pop a few over the Green Monster.
Just saying.........
MikeF9

« #13 : October 10, 2008, 06:39:10 PM »

Manny, Nomar, Derek Lowe. Even Joe Torre.
Red Sox-Dodgers would be the ultimate match-up. East Coast/West Coast. Boston/LA and it's not the Celtics-Lakers.
Unfortunately, the Phillies are having their say, leading game 2, 8-5, and the series, 1-0.
Phillies-Rays?
Only the true baseball fan will tune in.

Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #14 : October 11, 2008, 05:19:34 AM »

Thanks Mike,

That shows what a non Baseball Fan I am now a days.
I forgot or didn't realize the who the guys were that left the East.

I am more of a Football fan.
Bills fan at that and I say do not count out Cassell or the Pats. Bledsoe anyone?
If anyone can get that team together it is Belichek, or is it that I KNOW the Bills??????
: [1]  
« previous next »
: