Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 12:29:54 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Saturday tax holiday
« previous next »
: [1]
: Saturday tax holiday  ( 5473 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : August 18, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »

The Sales and Use Tax Holiday for fiscal year 2010 will be this Saturday, August 22. You'll be able to purchase almost any item at a Vermont store free of tax. During the Sales and Use Tax Holiday most items will not be subject to the 6% state Sales and Use Tax or subject to any of the local option taxes imposed by some Vermont communities. The rules are that the item must be for personal use and cost no more than $2000. Cars and some other items are exempt. Store owners can claim reimbursement for expenditures for reprogramming cash registers and/or computer equipment. Communities loosing revenue from the loss of local option taxes can get reimbursement from the state and PILOT funds will be reimbursed by the state. No Franklin County towns charge a local option tax.

There is another Tax Holiday scheduled in March 2010. The expected cost of the Sales and Use Tax Holidays is estimated at $2.2 million. There was no appropriation made to cover this revenue loss, so the state budget will have to absorb it. But the good news is that this is a great chance to make purchases on needed items and pay no Sales or Use Tax.

Contact me at cbranagan@leg.state.vt.us if you need further information.

Representative Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
dearon
: 233

« #1 : August 19, 2009, 06:44:46 AM »

Too bad it can't include cars and houses, now that would be a boost to our economy.  I know there is  no "sales" tax on houses but the tax charged is pretty significant.
special ED

« #2 : August 22, 2009, 03:40:58 AM »

this is the only good thing the state has ever done for business
Travis
: 141

« #3 : August 22, 2009, 08:29:55 AM »

It should be for more than one day. A lot of people work odd schedules and won't be able to take advantage of it. In NY, they have a tax free week every year.
cedarman
: 370

« #4 : August 26, 2009, 07:05:25 AM »

If I remember correctly, the tax free week in NY is for clothing items of $100 or less per item.  I don't believe the tax free week in NY is anywhere close to the scale of VT's tax free day.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #5 : August 26, 2009, 07:20:57 AM »

I think clothes here in Vermont are tax free every day.

Henry Raymond
special ED

« #6 : August 26, 2009, 04:29:52 PM »

they have some good deals at the goodwill store
: [1]  
« previous next »
: