Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 11:31:58 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  taking on responsibility for one another
« previous next »
: [1]
: taking on responsibility for one another  ( 2473 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : September 24, 2008, 03:38:30 PM »

Home heat and food supplies will be of concern for many during the upcoming winter.  The reason for the concern is the combination of high fuel oil cost, increasing transportation costs for the goods imported to our state, and the many unknowns of our economic system. As I’ve written several times before, state agencies are trying to get organized to adequately respond to crisis situations. But government will not be able to meet all the needs. I am especially worried about the elderly, disabled and those who are unable to do for themselves.

What can we do to make sure no one in dire need falls through the cracks? We can watch out for each other. This is a small legislative district (Georgia and Fairfax) and we should be able to watch out for one another. Officials at the state level tell me Franklin-1 is a  ‘rich’ district, but all of us who live here know better. There are certainly plenty of our neighbors who are in shaky circumstances, or who are already in need. As you travel around the district keep eyes open for folks in need. Communicate with the police, Meals on Wheels, oil distributors, church Deacons and school authorities about the welfare of one another. I am happy to come speak to church groups or others interested in ways to seek help for others.

Food shelves will be busy this winter. Donate what you can now. I feel emergency funding for food and fuel is a real need, but would like to avoid full blown emergencies if possible.

If even one person in Georgia/Fairfax suffers physical harm due to unmet need, that’s unacceptable to me. I’m trying to spread the word to folks in the district that this is an effort the government cannot cover, but we citizens can help a great deal by simply being involved and observant of each other’s needs. We need to be mindful of who may be at risk for being cold or hungry especially the elderly, physically disabled, those of very low income or moderate income and those who cannot do for themselves. No one should have to make the decision, ‘Do I eat, stay warm or take my medicine?’

Call me if you need information on available government assistance. 527-7694

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: