Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 04:49:02 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  ignition interlock device
« previous next »
: [1]
: ignition interlock device  ( 2815 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : April 21, 2011, 05:05:23 PM »

The statehouse is an extremely busy place these days. Adjournment is still targeted for May 7 and committees are meeting into the evenings in both the House and Senate.

One of the bills in which the House Ways and Means had interest was S.94, a bill that made several changes to motor vehicle law. One of the changes is allowing the ignition interlock device for use by drivers convicted of drunk driving. If this bill is signed into law, starting with the first offense these drivers will have to blow into the device connected to the steering wheel. The device can tell if the driver has been drinking. If no alcohol is detected, the car starts.

One question that came up in committee was how the state will be able to tell if someone else blows into the interlock device. The machine takes pictures at uneven frequencies; they are later reviewed and matched to photos of the convicted drunk driver. Drivers convicted of DUI can use this kind of monitor by agreeing to pay all costs including installation and maintenance, and also pay a fee of $125. The fee covers costs and administration of the program incurred by the state. If the convicted drunk driver does not agree to pay these costs, they go through the usual time of no driving at all thanks to a suspended license and probation.

Feel free to contact me at cbranagan@leg.state.vt.us

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
monte198
: 79

« #1 : April 21, 2011, 05:21:41 PM »

The only issue with the law I have is those that have been arrested for dui are not always convicted of dui it is dropped to neg operation.  What about drug dui.  Could it be if you are charged with dui and plea it is mandatory to install interlock devices in all vehicles available to the offender especially if the plea is to neg operation.
kevin
: 64

« #2 : April 21, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »

I don't think it should be an option.  I think it should be installed and the convicted driver should still have to pay the costs.  A person can easily drive with a suspended license.  It happens all the time.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
-Winston Churchill
: [1]  
« previous next »
: