Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 11:02:04 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  54 Of Nearly 1,500 VNG Deployed To Afghanistan From Franklin County
« previous next »
: [1]
: 54 Of Nearly 1,500 VNG Deployed To Afghanistan From Franklin County  ( 2246 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 01, 2010, 08:20:34 AM »

Veterans saluted as the names of soldiers who left St. Albans to fight and die in battle were read from the podium Monday during Memorial Day observances.

With 54 of the nearly 1,500 Vermont National Guard members deployed to Afghanistan earlier this year hailing from St. Albans, and scores more from elsewhere in Franklin County, the city’s parade and ceremony at Taylor Park hit close to home.

Diana Hodet of Fairfax sat in a lawn chair at the edge of the park while veterans of past foreign wars marched by on Main Street. Dozens of spectators sat in the grass or on the curb beside the road. Two girls waved American flags. Smoke from wildfires in Quebec hung in the air.

Hodet said her husband, Chief Warrant Officer Timothy Hodet, was seeking to come home on leave from his third trip to Afghanistan. Diana Hodet said being with the families of other soldiers was “better than sitting at home by yourself, feeling sorry for yourself.”

“It doesn’t get any easier,” Hodet said of dealing with her husband’s third tour.

For more of the story in today's Burlington Free Press by Matt Ryan, click on the following link:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010100531015

Henry Raymond
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : June 08, 2010, 02:49:46 PM »

Henry      Quite often I find myself going back to previous pages from your forum, reading comments from members of the Fairfax Community and throughly enjoying that time. Today I read over your posting regarding the Memorial Day tribute held in St. Albans and the large number of troops from Franklin County who are currently serving in the war zone.
Nancy's cousin and her husband ( who live next to me in Southfork ) have a grandson who is a part of the 1500 Vermonters who left in January to serve . As I understand it, every day when he returns from patrol, he leaves a message on his facebook page...no other info, just a note.....which is great for his relatives.
I'm reminded of Nancy's grandmother , who in World War II had four sons in the service, all in combat areas and each in a separate branch of the military . What she would have given to know on a daily basis that her sons were alive.  By the way, all four returned safely , which was a blessing.
I'm so proud of those who are serving our country now, even though I question the agenda that took us into Iraq years ago when our enemy was in other areas. These young men and women from Vermont are certainly " made of the right stuff " and hopefully will arrive safely home in the months ahead. 
: [1]  
« previous next »
: