Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 06:39:56 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Why So Many Owls Around???
« previous next »
: [1]
: Why So Many Owls Around???  ( 1813 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : December 22, 2007, 07:02:51 PM »

Mike Cain mentioned on his web site the other day that they saw an owl on their way to a fire call on the Woodward Road and JoAnne Wilkins sent me the following note:

"Hi Henry,
I have been seeing a barred owl sitting on my bird feeder pole for the last 4 days. The feeders are about 15 feet from my windows. He flies off when he sees movement in the windows, but returns after a while. I have also seen 4 owls on my mail route this past week. They are really fun to watch, sitting so still with their head turning so smoothly. No pictures yet, as I haven't been home much during daylight hours, with the busy Christmas season at the post office.

JoAnne"

Wonder what's causing all the owls to appear???

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : December 23, 2007, 09:39:28 AM »

Hi Henry,
I have heard that during long periods of snow cover, the owls food supply, mainly rodents, are under the snow cover. The owls have to hunt iin the daytime, as well as night. They look for their food near plowed roads and other areas that mice and squirrels come out in the open.

JoAnne

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: