Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 10:58:54 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  BFA-Fairfax has canceled school for tomorrow, October 30, 2012
« previous next »
: [1]
: BFA-Fairfax has canceled school for tomorrow, October 30, 2012  ( 6562 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 29, 2012, 03:57:50 PM »

Mike Cain just announced on facebook that BFA-Fairfax has canceled school for tomorrow, October 30, 2012.

Henry Raymond
cedarman
: 370

« #1 : October 31, 2012, 09:42:33 AM »

I wonder how many school officials across northern VT and NY felt foolish for canceling school before any bad weather even showed up!!  It seems to me, it would have made a lot more sense to cancel the morning of the 30th IF the storm showed.    Same with the schools that closed early on the 29th with partially cloudy skies and a slight breeze.

Why has our society become SO afraid of a little risk.  Maybe that is part of the reason we are falling behind other countries in the education (and other) realms.
trussell
: 870

« #2 : October 31, 2012, 10:41:26 AM »

It sounded like the reason for pre-cancelling school wasn't directly because of the weather (like snow days), but rather because of the fear of not having electricity.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
sdogallen
: 51

« #3 : October 31, 2012, 05:42:04 PM »

And for faculty and staff that have to travel from out of town. Some places did get the wind like they said they would. People with children should appreciate being able to prepare the night before rather than scramble that morning. Geez give a break they're just trying to do the right thing.
nhibbard
: 393

« #4 : October 31, 2012, 08:59:28 PM »

I'm grateful for all the thoughtful planning. I felt that planning ahead and giving everyone time to make alternative arrangements was better than canceling last minute. Everyone would just complain about the lack of planning if cancellations had come last minute. You can never win.
logical
: 141

« #5 : November 01, 2012, 07:36:14 AM »

I looked at this cancellation as any snow day cancellation.  Do we typically know the night before that school will be cancelled based on the weather reports?  No, not usually.   They usually wait til early the next morning.   I do believe that it would have made more sense to wait til the morning to make that determination.  Had there been no power or the weather was really bad at that time, then absolutely they should have cancelled.  Again, when the kids receive a snow day we don't know the night before for planning purposes.  We just make the plans, just in case.  Just my thoughts.
nhibbard
: 393

« #6 : November 01, 2012, 05:30:04 PM »

This was not a snow day though. It was a major storm that will affect millions for months. To casually look at it like a basic snowfall in Vermont understates what could have happened. Waiting until morning if there was a serious issue would have led to confusion and disorder trying to figure out what to do. Planning for snow is not the same as planning for a HURRICANE/TROPICAL STORM.
sdogallen
: 51

« #7 : November 01, 2012, 07:20:42 PM »

Totally agree. Snowstorm vs.Hurricane? Big difference. Besides just about every school in the Champlain Valley pulled the plug the day before not just Fairfax.
logical
: 141

« #8 : November 02, 2012, 09:23:54 AM »

I may have not stated this clearly - but I was not comparing a snowstorm to a hurricane.  I  was comparing the process of cancelling school for both situations.  Had they waited til morning they were running the risk of power outage.  That appears to have been the deciding factor.  However, during snowstorms we have power outages as well.  Therefore I was questioning why the process for both were different.
lena6
: 357

« #9 : November 02, 2012, 11:46:50 AM »

Give it a rest.  It is over with.
Cat

« #10 : November 02, 2012, 12:31:15 PM »

I was very happy they did it the night before. It could had been a very bad storm & with no power(if that happened) how would they notify us? 
Judi
: 508

« #11 : November 02, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »

Give it a rest.  It is over with.

I agree with Lena!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: