Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 01:39:16 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Land Trust?
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Land Trust?  ( 20529 )
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #15 : December 06, 2010, 08:22:04 PM »

weasel no im not fine with it ,are you originally from here weasel ? your kin ,how many generations? just wondering cause not that many years ago things were under control 80`s and things were affordable ,im just waiting for the older people to start getting kicked out of thier homes because they cant afford it anymore then you might see someone want to do something about it
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #16 : December 08, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »

weasel no im not fine with it ,are you originally from here weasel ? your kin ,how many generations? just wondering cause not that many years ago things were under control 80`s and things were affordable ,im just waiting for the older people to start getting kicked out of thier homes because they cant afford it anymore then you might see someone want to do something about it

Hehe. ;)  My prediction:  Next thing, we'll hear that anyone who hasnt been here for 10 generations are "flat-landers".  This isnt even a reasonable discussion (or much of a discussion at all) anymore, it's just getting silly.   It doesnt seem that you have anything more to add that's informative or thoughtful.  So, looks like it's about done for me.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #17 : December 08, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »

If you were not born in VT it does make you a flatlander though LOL !!! just thought I would add that 

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
cedarman
: 370

« #18 : December 08, 2010, 01:29:55 PM »

Flatlander here.  Back home in Northern NY (as close to Canada as we are in Fairfax), the cost of living was more affordable because housing cost were and still are a LOT lower.  My parent's house was $35K for a 3 bedroom home on 3 acres (NO, I didn't forget a zero) in 2002.
Tax rates are higher, but overall, for someone buying a home on a mortgage, the overall cost is MUCH lower due to housing prices being half or less of what they are here in Fairfax.  Cost of renting a 3 bdroom house there is a lot lower too. It is not uncommon to find 100+ acres over there for $50K or less.
I think the fact that the state doesn't pay people to NOT develop land really helps keep housing cost lower.  NYS does have some land management programs to help land owners develop higher value forest, and a program where owners get paid for trails on their land, but any trails created under the program are considered public access (for those who know where to find the trails).
Stand Alone Defense

« #19 : December 08, 2010, 02:10:57 PM »

I would give my right arm for housing prices in VT to be what they are in NY.  I have a lot of friends I work with that live in NY, it's crazy how low the cost of housing is across the lake.  I have been thinking of buying a camp in up state NY and I have found nice camps with 10-20 acres for the price you would pay for an acre of land in Fairfax!!  Ed is right though it wasn't always like this in VT, in the 80s even early 90s housing was very affordable in VT.

Ed I blame it on the Massholes LOL

rod anode

« #20 : December 08, 2010, 04:41:57 PM »

weasel im just trying to figure out your angle on this either you work for the school or someone you live with does or you have more money than GOD
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #21 : December 08, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »

weasel im just trying to figure out your angle on this either you work for the school or someone you live with does or you have more money than GOD

Nope, nope, and nope. ;)  Apparently anyone with a different opinion than you must have an "angle".   That's an interesting thought process...and a bit revealing about yourself.  Last comment from me to you Rod.  I agree to disagree.

To everyone else:  So why the great difference in housing prices across the lake?  Josh mentioned people being paid to not develop their land, and out of staters driving up prices (with McMansions probably) so that is a couple things, but I dont think those could be the sole reasons.  Anyone have other ideas?  Taxes are apparently higher in NY, so that doesnt sound like its part of it.   I always wondered why this was the case.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
Stand Alone Defense

« #22 : December 08, 2010, 05:33:01 PM »

Who knows??? please share it sure as hell isn't all the good jobs!! Vermont is probably one of the biggest unfriendly business states in the USA.  One would think NY has a lot more to offer therefore it would cost more to live there HMMMMMMMM? 

rod anode

« #23 : December 08, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »

i thought so ..........i  just cant figure why anyone would want to pay more in property taxes it just boggles me
Stand Alone Defense

« #24 : December 08, 2010, 05:52:29 PM »

Ed that baffles me to.....LOL but hey to each their own I guess???

Some people like to hang from rafters by their nipples...... I don't, but if thats what they like more power to them as long as they don't expect me to like it myself.

rod anode

« #25 : December 08, 2010, 06:12:47 PM »

who likes to do that josh? ide like to see that YYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW
cedarman
: 370

« #26 : December 08, 2010, 06:42:02 PM »

I think the anti-flatlander sentiment is a result of changes in VT as more wealthy people from out of state buy land / houses at high prices and add to the rising cost.  In many cases, those individuals bought property here because of the rural nature of the area, and now that they have their piece, they want it to stay exactly the same.  Since these individuals have more money than the average "native" working VT'er, they tend to have more time to play in politics in an effort to prevent changes to the "rural character" of the land around their new homes - except the farms because they are dirty and stinky.

This reminds me of a co-worker's question: "What is the difference between an environmentalist and a developer?" . . .  "The developer wants to build houses on the hills with nice views, the environmentalist already has one."

All of this leads me to believe the rising cost is about supply and demand.  If you have a group of people who create roadblocks to development, it creates a shortage and drives up the prices.  IF VT had fewer roadblocks to development of property and the ability to build new homes, MAYBE, housing cost wouldn't be so high.  That won't happen because nobody (the people who already own houses - many already overpriced) wants to see housing prices decline.  Ed probably doesn't want to see housing prices decline either because towns would just have to raise tax rates to make up the difference (like in NORTHERN NY).

I emphasize NORTHERN NY because it is far different that "upstate" or "downstate".  Housing cost rise significantly as you move south of Glens falls. 

That's just my 2 cents on why I think housing cost are so high (and rising like the flatlander resentment).
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #27 : December 10, 2010, 02:24:12 PM »

Well said Cedarman.  Not too shabby for a flatlander! LOL!! :-)

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
dvallett
: 55

« #28 : December 10, 2010, 03:09:40 PM »

Josh, happy reading: http://www.vlt.org/land-protection
Stand Alone Defense

« #29 : December 10, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »

Josh, happy reading: http://www.vlt.org/land-protection
Thanks Dave!!  I have been looking at some land in the NEK that is in land trust. I just want to put a deer camp on it for me and my brothers things are getting to crowded around here for hunting!!

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: