Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 03:25:25 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Your Fairfax 2010 Property Tax Bill Has Something New On It
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Your Fairfax 2010 Property Tax Bill Has Something New On It  ( 16187 )
al brodeur
: 216

« #15 : August 06, 2010, 08:19:25 PM »

as far as tax cuts they should be for ones on active duty,either full time military or from a reserve/guard unit that was activated. The tax abatement for the disable should be equal the the percentage of disability.
the gov't shafts the vets at every turn anymore,when the draft was in and all the congressmen were in reserve/guard units they took care of themselves and the rest of the vets rode in on their shirttails, now that the draft is gone congressmen no longer are in reserve/guard units so they have no real benefit to stick up for, so guess what,take that dear vet.
another added benefit that the retirees have from the military is that even though they work for the 40 quarters in the regular work force they will have reduce social security benefits because they receive a pension.
the exact formula neither of my men knew but they were aware of the coming shaft.  this is gov't care.
Mummy
: 280

« #16 : August 07, 2010, 01:00:30 AM »

I recall the number being low, like under 20-disabled Veterans here in the Town of Fairfax.  Not a big number at all to worry much about!
slpott
: 457

« #17 : August 07, 2010, 07:22:31 AM »

I know I should walk away sweetly on this subject but I just have to say something as far as being on "active duty"only. What about the person that lost their legs and was medically retired? What about the person that lost half their face due to a roadside bomb? What about the person that can't get out of bed in the mornings? Just a thought. These men and women are heoros and it is a small token of appreciation. Some heroes got the ultimate benefit and never have to pay a single tax again. I would suggest taking away welfare from the ones that play the game and do not work before compaining about 40% tax break for the ones that serve our country and protect our FREEDOM.
Mummy
: 280

« #18 : August 07, 2010, 08:25:32 AM »

Good point slpott ...

why don't folks say anything about those collecting Welfare at 100% and working under the table?  Or collecting Welfare and shacked up with a partner who is working? why don't anyone talk about those able bodies who choose not to pay into this system?
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #19 : August 09, 2010, 04:56:17 PM »

ok lets talk about them
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #20 : August 09, 2010, 06:56:48 PM »

1st Sue I do not mind at all you using my Quote I did not make it up but stole it my self from somewhere.

2nd Being a combat veteran myself but not disabled I have no problem at all forking out a few dollars more for my brothers and sisters in arms that have been injured while fighting for our country.  Like Slpott stated I to have friends that will never live a normal life again because of their service to our country and other friends that never came home at all.  I think this is a small token for all of us to pay for the thing we get to enjoy and take for granted everyday.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #21 : August 09, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »

where did I hear it freedom is not free? I think all seniors should not have to pay school tax
cedarman
: 370

« #22 : August 10, 2010, 06:49:51 AM »

"Perhaps the Veteran's employer, the US Government, should provide them with the benefits and services they need and have earned."

And where does the US Government get the money for those benefits (when they are not just printing or borrowing it)?  That's right, we are all paying for the benefits of EVERYONE, including many of those low income families, disabled people, even people drawing Social Security (yes, they paid into the system, but many will receive WAY more in benefits then they ever paid in - the cost all rolls downhill).

Picking up the tab for this offset is ONE of the few taxes I'm glad to pay.
cedarman
: 370

« #23 : August 10, 2010, 07:01:59 AM »

"about 40% tax break"

Let's not distort the issue here.  We are not talking about a 40% tax break.  Chris, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the exemption is up to $40,000 off the assessed value of a person's home.  Yes, it could be a 40% reduction in the local taxes paid by some people, but from what I've seen, it doesn't take much of a home around here to add up to way more than a $100K. 

My parents home in Northern NY is assessed at $40K, but would easily be $100+ here.  That, however, is an entirely different topic for a separate discussion thread.
mirjo
: 785

« #24 : August 10, 2010, 10:45:28 AM »

I know I should walk away sweetly on this subject but I just have to say something as far as being on "active duty"only. What about the person that lost their legs and was medically retired? What about the person that lost half their face due to a roadside bomb? What about the person that can't get out of bed in the mornings? Just a thought. These men and women are heoros and it is a small token of appreciation. Some heroes got the ultimate benefit and never have to pay a single tax again.

Nobody ever considers this group splott. Another point that people don't like to consider is that many veterans end up becoming homeless, you know that other group of needy losers people turn up their noses at?

I really can't believe the pissing & moaning over giving to disabled veterans. The numbers are astounding coming back from the Middle East of young men/women whose lives are changed forever because they volunteered to serve in a war that doesn't make much sense to most people.

I get that taxes are really high and no one wants to see their tax bill raised each year, but I also see plenty of nice homes and vehicles here in Fairfax. It's true that these homes cost less in other states, but as far as I'm concerned if folks are doing well enough to support that two story contemporary, drive a car less than 10 years old, send their kids to school in name brand clothes with cell phones, iPods, etc., pay for all the extracurricular fun to be had during the school year plus the family vacation AND also walk back to that big comfy couch in front of the HD TV by yourself after dinner, then what the &$%#@ are you complaining about a few bucks more on your taxes for?

I realize that putting out ones income for higher taxes to fund stuff that seems unnecessary, especially  government programs to help those less"fortunate" is annoying to many people and I always ask myself why that is (aside from the obvious fraudulent cases that are often mentioned) By all outward appearances this community appears to be doing quite well as a suburb of Chittenden County.

A tour of the school parking lot gives a good indication that a majority of students are driving fairly well. It seems that the fabled "old beater" no longer exists or cars are just being made better or something. The teens I see driving have cars that are newer in appearance anyway. The cars parked at the businesses in town are mostly newer models. Everyone on this forum has a computer, a cell phone, a digital camera and I would guess other electronic must haves: dvd players, HDTV's, cable or a dish, the list goes on. I would bet everyone's kids is in possession of the same also. Add up the cost of these "necessities" and compare that to the added tax burden for the Veterans.

I think we're all very good with the talking points about sacrifice & love those weepy video montages on you-tube about what a soldier has to go through for your personal comfort, but I really don't think it ever quite clicks once the moment has passed and we're no longer verklempt. We're then moving on to what we (or our children) want next.

The point of this rant  is:  There are veterans whose lives have been forever altered in ways that ours have not, so think about whether or not an extra couple of hundred bucks on the tax bill is really going to bring the house down or just leave less money for Christmas? Will you not be to take a vacation or will you have to save longer to go where you really want to go? Will you have to eat rice and beans for a year instead of chicken or steak?

The question is what does it really mean to you? Not just the thought of your taxes being higher to aid someone else, but does it affect you in a real way?

This kind of complaining just look ridiculous in the big picture.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Sue W.
: 167

« #25 : August 10, 2010, 02:38:57 PM »

Well stated, Lisa.
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #26 : August 13, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »

I assume we should have received our bill by now, but we havent seen anything in the mail.  We just bought the house in April, so maybe that is the problem.  Who should I contact?

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #27 : August 13, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »

Call Town Clerk's office GamingWeasel. 802-849-6111 THey are open until 4pm

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #28 : August 13, 2010, 01:14:43 PM »

Thanks!  I called and they are sending me out a copy. :)

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: