Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 05:48:37 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  New Phone Scam
« previous next »
: [1]
: New Phone Scam  ( 6213 )
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« : June 06, 2013, 10:53:55 AM »

So I get a call, and was definitely an outsourced call from out of the country (India). He tells me my computer is sending errors to the internet and that my computer needs to be looked at.

I decided to play along for a bit. 

I asked him what computer and he says your computer and I say which one? He replies that it is sending errors and he will walk me through what to do to fix it.

At this point I had heard all I needed to. I said you are talking to a comupter girl and there is nothing wrong with my computer, do not call back here again.

NO ONE will call you to tell you that you are sending errors over the internet from your computer. DO NOT do anything they say and definitely do not give them any personal information.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
janet
: 51

« #1 : June 06, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »

This happened to my sister in CT.  She stayed sitting on her couch and asked what she should do.  He said punch in these numbers, she said OK.  (  All the time she wasn't even near her computer ). She said to him "OK I just did what you told me to do!"  He said you must have put in the wrong numbers so  try these instead.  She does the same thing NOTHING and this goes on for about 5 min.  She then says to him...DO YOU THINK I AM STUPID...IF ANYTHING WAS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER I WOULD CALL MY 10 YEAR OLD GRANDSON TO HELP ME FIX IT!!!   She said you wasted my time so I wasted yours!!   To funny
CMac
: 7

« #2 : June 06, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »

This is something I've gotten a recent heads up on happening to businesses in the Burlington area as well. They will call and tell you they are from the manufacturer of the credit card pinpads. They have the cashier do things to the pinpad and read them numbers and messages it says all in an attempt to hack the system to retrieve credit card numbers and authorization codes specific to that business.

They don't just target individuals, businesses and their employees need to be aware of these types of scams as well.
rwing180
: 98

« #3 : June 06, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »

I have gotten one of these phone calls twice this week & one earlier this year.
Fortunately I fiqured it was a scam the first time   :) 
ohhman
: 469

« #4 : July 02, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »

I just got this call today MK!!  I also played along, then I asked for HIS number so I could call him back as I felt he was scamming me.... CLICK went his phone!   So wish people like this would just get a legit job & stop trying to screw the hard working people!!
Margie
: 156

« #5 : July 02, 2013, 08:16:17 PM »

I got the "This is John from the Shipping Department.  I'm calling to arrange delivery of your emergency system.  You know...one of those 'I've fallen and can't get up' systems."  Who the heck does this???  I listened through to the end and it makes you press 1 to arrange delivery or 5 to decline the free offer.  Please don't press anything!  Once you do, they know your number is active and it will put it into an active robo-system. 

Be vigilant, friends. 
gumby542
: 22

« #6 : July 02, 2013, 08:38:08 PM »

I got the same call Margie. I told him 5 times he had the wrong # and he just kept on with the push. The # was 802 861 6971. It comes up as a mobile # from Burlington, vt
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #7 : July 03, 2013, 05:58:31 AM »

Phone numbers on called ID can be set to whatever number the caller wants.
I received a call from 802-849-xxxx and it was scammers from "Carnival Cruise".
I had won a free cruise and only needed to pay $90 "docking fee".

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: