Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 02:03:08 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Tractor Trailer Stuck in the Notch This Morning
« previous next »
: [1]
: Tractor Trailer Stuck in the Notch This Morning  ( 8987 )
fletchtb
: 310

« : September 14, 2009, 12:55:49 PM »

Got up to the top of the notch this morning at about 10:15am to a line of cars near the main parking lot. A state police car was blocking the road. All the cars in front of me turned around and went back down the mountain so I became first on line. I talked with the trooper and he told me a tractor trailer was stuck in the hairpin turn. I asked him if I could drive down to where he was stuck and the trooper agreed since the wrecker would be coming from the Stowe side and I wouldn't be in the way.

So apparently the fine for getting stuck in the Notch is only $200. A DMV Enforcement vehicle was apparently conducting an inspection on the stuck truck so the fine may end up being more, but it is only $200 for causing a road to be closed (which seems very low to me). The wrecker basically lifts the trailer so they can move it into position so the truck can move. This guy had to back down about 1/2 a mile before he could turn around. He had to be hooked to the wrecker 2 times, becuase he couldn't back down the road he came up. The driver claimed to not have seen the signs that tractor trailers are prohibited.

I think the only way stop trucks from going through would be a sign with a picture of a stuck truck. The signs have been improved in the last year or so, and I think a flashing light might help, but in reality I think even if a trucker sees the sign by the time they are all the way up there, they are not going to take the time to stop and turn around.

My pictures are below:

end
« : September 14, 2009, 01:33:48 PM fletchtb »
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #1 : September 14, 2009, 02:07:55 PM »

Thanks for the great Notch photos.
Still a lot of green up there.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
dearon
: 233

« #2 : September 14, 2009, 02:29:16 PM »

So why wasn't the road made wide enough for everyone to use it, is it mainly for our tourist, the skiing public?  I've been on some pretty steep roads elsewhere in the country and all vehicles have access.  You do see ramps made of dirt and stone as a run a way ramp in case a tractor trailer cannot make the turns (or looses their brakes) and goes off.
Judi
: 508

« #3 : September 14, 2009, 02:43:30 PM »

So why wasn't the road made wide enough for everyone to use it,

This is Vermont Deanne, enough said!
fletchtb

« #4 : September 14, 2009, 03:08:31 PM »

Deanne,

The road through Smuggler's Notch is known as Scenic 108. It is a seasonal tourist road to allow visitors to drive through Smuggler's Notch State Park (or Forest - not sure). The road is one lane in parts and maneuvers around many natural rock formations. I don't think it would help the tourist trade if there were trucks were constantly going through the notch with all the hikers around.

It is a fairly unique road in our state, and I think it would be ruined if it were widened or modified to allow all kinds of traffic. If you haven't been up there, it is worth the drive into Stowe (during the day).
dearon

« #5 : September 14, 2009, 03:50:56 PM »

I know the area and think it's quite lovely but we are in 2009???
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #6 : September 14, 2009, 06:46:48 PM »

Great photos Todd - Thanks so much for doing this.  Bet you are counting the days until you will be going the long way around the Notch.

Henry Raymond
fletchtb

« #7 : September 14, 2009, 06:53:18 PM »

No Henry. If I count, I will be too depressed. Here is hoping for a long warm Fall and may the notch remain open until DECEMBER!!!
Corm
: 65

« #8 : September 15, 2009, 09:07:56 AM »

I agree with the folks that say leave the Notch as it is. It would be a travesty to change the road to allow trucks to pass through. 
cedarman
: 370

« #9 : September 15, 2009, 10:12:15 AM »

Even if the road isn't changed to make it possible for tractor trailers to make it through, it would be great if it could be plowed for winter passage. 

I can't remember the road number, but I think it was down near mad river glenn that I was on a stretch of road that seemed just as steep with as many hairpin turns, and that was plowed year round.

It sure would save a lot of driving time and gas money for people on this side who work in Stowe.  OH yeah, and lets not forget the carbon emmissions from having to drive an ext 45 min each way going the long way around.
msm
: 211

« #10 : September 15, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »

Leave the road -- As Is  -- Whenever I am home,  I drive through this beautiful area !! 

Now -- I've often wondered -- Why not plow ( and salt )  in the winter ?    Besides the commute,  skiers would gain another local ski area.. perhaps a prtnership could be achieved between the two resports.

Mike M   
David Shea
: 471

« #11 : September 18, 2009, 07:39:37 PM »

The reason that this guy was taking a short cut was to save miles.  His GPS told him that this was the shortest route.  Did any of you notice that his truck was empty?  Vermont is the end of the line for truck drivers.  Since we have little to no manufacturing here ( thank you ACT 250 ) the truck drivers bring their loads to Vermont and then have to drive empty on their dime to get the next load.

I was talking to a driver who was hauling a backhoe from Vermont to California.  His leg of the trip from VT to Penn paid him 1.00 per mile.  He said this was good considering most loads pay about 75 cents per mile originating in Vermont on Flatbed.

To put this in perspective a big truck like the one shown gets about between 4 - 7 miles per gallon.  Diesel cost 2.89 per gallon, based on 4 mile per gallon the fuel alone cost 72 cent per gallon.  bottom line is these guys are barely scraping by and will take a shortcut whenever possible to save some money.

A day may come when truckers like this will refuse loads to Vermont due to the lack of return freight.
dearon

« #12 : September 18, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »

Well said David:)
: [1]  
« previous next »
: