Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 08:28:53 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  From Jim Douglas
« previous next »
: [1]
: From Jim Douglas  ( 2797 )
fletchtb
: 310

« : October 27, 2008, 07:57:07 PM »

Symington “Evolves” in Election Year Change

Montpelier, VT – In January 2007, when Republican and Independent representatives proposed a bill to require charged felons to submit to a DNA test, they were following national best-practices for law enforcement agencies and seeking to give Vermont police and prosecutors the tools they need to help prevent sexual predators and other criminals from threatening our families.

But to Gaye Symington, H.181 (An act relating to requiring persons charged with or cited for a felony to submit a DNA sample for the state DNA data bank), sponsored by Republican Representatives Tom Koch and Peg Flory and by Independent Representative Daryl Pillsbury, wasn't worth considering. She sent it to the House Judiciary committee, where it languished for two sessions. Speaker Symington never acted to move the bill forward.

Now in a shameless election year flip-flop, Speaker Symington said that her new support for this measure “reflects some evolution in my [her] thinking.” (WCAX, 8/13/08)

“Vermonters won't buy it," said Douglas Campaign manager Dennise Casey. “It is unbelievable that Ms. Symington would stand up in front of TV cameras and propose a measure that she has blocked for the past two years.”

“As a legislator for twelve years – four as Speaker of the House – Symington has not made safe communities legislation a priority. In fact, she’s been a roadblock. She has resisted calls for longer mandatory minimum sentences, civil confinement for dangerous sexual predators, and is against a more aggressive sex offender registry,” said Casey. “Her campaign conversion isn't serious, and it isn't credible.”

“Now that she’s running for Governor, she hopes that Vermonters will ignore her legislative record. While we appreciate that Gaye Symington has evolved enough to recognize that this is an important issue, it’s clear from her continued resistance to the changes that Vermonters want – tougher penalties, civil confinement and a more comprehensive sex offender registry – Speaker Symington hasn’t evolved far enough,” said Casey.

###

http://www.jimdouglas.com/press-releases/163-symington-evolves-in-election-year-change

For more information goto: www.jimdouglas.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: