Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 04:56:30 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  THERE ARE GARDENERS & THEN THERE'S ME
« previous next »
: [1]
: THERE ARE GARDENERS & THEN THERE'S ME  ( 2336 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 06, 2005, 07:37:39 AM »

Hi All,
Well, I drive along the road and cautiously peek in Steve Ratte's back yard, drive by Colleen Steen's house and see her beautiful flowers and see Reg & Joyce Barkyoumbs beautiful big lawn and think, "My isn't that beautiful?"

I'm sure it comes with a price though and that means a lot of hard work, but each one of these individuals, plus others I have not mentioned all do it because they truly enjoy it and find it relaxing.

Steve Ratte sent me the following pictures of his Sunflowers:

Steve sent me the following note with the pictures:
"Hi Henry,
Have sent you a couple of sunflower pictures by our barn...they measured 13 ft. The blossoms didn't open till the middle of August...guess all their energy was spent in plant growth...I really didn't do much except throw a few seeds behind the barn and they surprised me. . ."

Well, of course I would love to show you some outstanding pictures also, but the only thing I have is the following:

Now this is my Hydrangea Bush.  About 10 years ago, Maryann and I went up to The Grand Isle Nursery.  Always wanted a Hydrangea Bush as it brought back the memory of each October 5th when my parents would have their Anniversary Picture taken in front of the one at their house.  Many an Anniversary Picture of them was taken of them at that location.

Well, this is ours, although I believe we have only taken one Anniversary Photo in front of it.  By the way we purchased two of them, but one died.

Anyhow last year, Maryann wanted a couple of Blue Hydrangea bushes to go in front of her bedroom window.  They are a little on the pricey side, but, "what ta heck."

Grand Isle Nursery gave me the directions, which I believe I followed to a "T".

Well spring came and they started coming out of the ground again, got hit by a really bad frost and died out.  Called Grand Isle Nursery and they assured me they would come back.  After they started coming back, gave them a shot of Miracle Grow for Acid Loving Plants (Supposed to turn them Blue).

Below is a picture of the first plant as it looks today:

Now, I don't see a single bloom, Do You??

Now the second plant shown above is about half the size of the one above it, but it does have one bloom which is somewhat encouraging.  I am told I can make it turn blue by giving it a little more of that Acid Loving Miracle Grow, provided I don't kill it in the process.

Anyhow, this fall, when we take our trip up to the Islands for some of those delicious "Cider Doughnuts", will also bring a picture up to the Grand Isle Nursery for their evaluation of my problem.

Meanwhile, congratulations to all you green thumb gardeners who know what they are doing.  Have a great day.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: