Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 01:36:17 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Leon Thompson Selects Fairfax Resident To Publicize Home Business
« previous next »
: [1]
: Leon Thompson Selects Fairfax Resident To Publicize Home Business  ( 2258 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 18, 2015, 08:55:57 AM »

Published in Friday's (April 17, 2015) St. Albans Messenger

Fairfax resident knows the secret behind popular dessert in-a-jar

Holly Cormier sells and distributes Kahlua cake concoction

ST. ALBANS - Holly Cormier started her home-based business about four years ago, when her friend Bonnie Bartlett, of Colchester, graciously and generously gave Holly the secret, coveted recipe for her tasty Kahlua cake in a jar.

Bonnie never wanted to distribute her Kahlua cake commercially, but she had known Holly for more than 40· years, and she thought Holly would.

Holly immediately registered Holly's Kahlua Cake In A Jar with the state. Since then, she has operated as a licensed home baker in Fairfax, 'subject to annual kitchen inspections. She sells her unique desert in a jar year-round at craft shows, through wholesale and retail accounts, and on dessert menus at Vermont restaurants.

"I love the reaction on people's faces when they try a sample of my cake," Holly . said recently, during a chat at 84 Main, in St. Albans. "They just love it."

Holly's Kahlua Cake In A Jar is an apt name for Holly's product. She is reticent about the recipe, of course, and although Kahlua cake recipes are all over the Web, the one that Bonnie passed to Holly is one-of-a-kind.

Holly will reveal the ingredients - yellow cake mix, chocolate pudding mix, oil, water, eggs and Kahlua (no nuts) - but not the measurements for each, which is apparently the secret.

Holly uses new Ball jars when packaging and sealing her deserts, and, because of the ingredients and baking process - done right in the jar - Holly's Kahlua Cake In Ajar has a shelf life of up to four years.

"It's a no-brainer for restaurants," Holly said. "It never goes bad, so they always have something fresh to serve on the desert menu.  The alcohol dissipates during baking, so Holly's Kahlua Cake In A jar can satisfy sweet teeth of all ages. Holly suggests serving it on a plate with chocolate sauce, along with raspberries and vanilla ice cream on the side.

During craft show season from October to December - Holly's busiest time - she is present at about nine shows a month, about 30 in all, and sells about five, 12-jar cases at each show.

Kahlua Cake In A Jar is also listed on the desert menu at The Brewski Pub & Grill, in Jeffersonville. Locally, it is on sale at Local Fare, Fairfax House of Pizza, Sheldon Mini Mart and Pauline's Quick Stop.

Holly, 63, lives in Fairfax with her husband, Ed. He is a retired IMBer. She is a former truck driver and federal government employee. They have two grown children and five grandchildren. Two of Holly's granddaughters, Ella, 9, and Melanie, 17, both of Fairfax, enjoy helping Holly at her craft shows.

Holly hopes to expand her business this year by offering Holly's Kahlua Cake In A Jar as wedding favors, and she would like to grow her local wholesale, retail and restaurant account list.

"I'm told my cake in a jar makes for a very good, unique gift," Holly said. "I'm sure it does."
« : April 18, 2015, 09:22:13 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: