Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:21:16 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Animal Cruelty Investigation In Jeffersonville
« previous next »
: [1]
: Animal Cruelty Investigation In Jeffersonville  ( 1815 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 22, 2011, 05:20:25 AM »

Jeffersonville, Vermont- Vermont State Police and the Humane Society are investigating a suspected case of animal cruelty involving several horses.

Pictures taken by a neighbor sparked an animal cruelty investigation.

"Pictures I was just forwarded show the animals severely underweight," Senior Director of Vermont and New Hampshire, for the Humane Society of the United States, Joanne Bourbeau said. 

These pictures are now in the hands of the Humane Society of the United States. The next step is for the Humane Society to contact the Department of Agriculture for a search warrant, and possibly remove the horses if they are in danger.

"Unless the owner is willing to sign the animals over voluntarily a search warrant has to be issued by a judge in order to seize animals which are considered property," Bourbeau said.

Thursday evening, while I was there talking with the owner, Rick Fletcher, a Vermont State Police Trooper and the Jeffersonville Animal Control officer stopped by. The owner allowed them to check on the animals.

The investigation brought police to a farm on Junction Hill Road where Vermont State Police say the horses were in better shape then expected.

Police say the horses don't appear to be abused or in any immediate danger. They had both food and water on the premises.

However the police and the Humane Society say they are still investigating.

"We can't look the other way when faced with a picture of a horse whose ribs are showing and clearly suffering," Bourbeau said.

A Veterinarian is expected to check on the horses and determine if they are healthy on Friday.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: