Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 04:44:06 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Companies To Pull The Plug On White Pages
« previous next »
: [1]
: Companies To Pull The Plug On White Pages  ( 3694 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 11, 2010, 09:14:52 AM »

Some of these companies are not living in the real world - Had someone tell me the other day that they have dial-up and it takes them about a half hour before they get all signed on and ready to go - I don't think they are going to want to spend that kind of time to look up a phone number on the Internet - I posted on the site below that I think we need to get broadband up and running first before we start requiring people to check phone numbers on the Internet:

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=13483976

Henry Raymond
SColeman
: 4

« #1 : November 11, 2010, 05:29:43 PM »

I'm with you Henry!  I'll use the phone book over the internet every time I need local information as do my parents.  I hope Fairpoint doesn't abandon the white pages! 

SColeman 
mirjo
: 785

« #2 : November 12, 2010, 01:01:55 PM »

It's nuts, the assumption these companies all have that everyone owns a computer or smart phone and has high speed access! A lot of people do, but not everyone. I know people who don't and not everyone is a senior citizen, as is assumed.  Some times this just feels like it's spinning out of control and will end badly.

With simple things getting shunned for the sexy, shiny, electric model--along goes the skills & know how to utilize the former.To use the white pages or dictionary (that must be next) or a map one needs alphabetizing skills & map reading skills. These are not needed for electronic versions of these 'apps.' The way i see it, if your phone dies and your GPS stops working on a trip, you are SOL without having learned something independent of the electronics. Those are just two examples! :-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #3 : November 13, 2010, 01:07:12 AM »

On my REMOTE jobsite and even in my office I have no phone book.

We are lucky to have broadband internet and cell phones for adding addresses.

Google the below...

crowley fuel, palmer alaska
(call the 745 prefix number)
Ask for Darrell.

Ask him why New Carr's Palmer is LAST on their route and we run out of fuel.

Dare ya..............

Tell him Mike sent ya.
(hope he isn't a bigging that can take me!)
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #4 : November 17, 2010, 01:52:40 PM »

I dont use the phone book anymore (Google never fails), but some people need to keep using it.  It would be silly of Fairpoint to stop printing it.  But, this is Fairpoint...they dont exactly have a good track record, in anything.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: