Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:29:49 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  I Know It's Tempting, But It's Only May 6th
« previous next »
: [1]
: I Know It's Tempting, But It's Only May 6th  ( 2848 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : May 06, 2013, 06:17:02 AM »

Sure looks like it's garden planting time, but way too early up here in Fairfax except for your cold weather crops.  Was talking with my friend Steve and he feels like I do, "definitely can get some cold weather yet.

Talking with Jeff Minor and he plans to get his greenhouse up for Mother's Day. 

I see Nan's was doing a booming business at The CreeMee Stand last night.  Still waiting for my first creemee of 2013.

Henry Raymond
Trekr
: 140

« #1 : May 06, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »

I would think the possible rain by the weekend might cool things down a little. We sure have appreciated the summer weather though. My father used to plant his potatoes in Lamoille county on Memorial day and harvest them on Labor day. He used to plant 100 pounds of seed potatoes and harvest almost 1000 pounds. Always green mountains.  One year he decided to plant some potatoes in straw. He got a good yield, but they had no taste at all.  He was convinced that the potatoes took on some of the taste of the soil that they were planted in. Makes sence to me
David Shea
: 471

« #2 : May 06, 2013, 10:22:39 PM »

I think your dad was right on.  The potatoes we grow here taste way better than an commercially grown one ever could.  On most big farms the soil has been so depleted of nutrients that the farmers depend on chemical fertilizers to make vegetables grow.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: