Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:20:43 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  JoAnne Captures Some Sun Flowers In A Local Corn Field
« previous next »
: [1]
: JoAnne Captures Some Sun Flowers In A Local Corn Field  ( 4871 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 03, 2010, 12:37:15 PM »

Hi Henry,

These sunflowers are part of a cornfield on Brick Church Rd.

JoAnne

Henry Raymond
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #1 : August 03, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »

Is there a reason to plant sunflowers amongst corn (as in something symbiotic), or did they just happen to grow there?

We planted our sunflowers a bit late so they arent more than 4' high right now.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #2 : August 03, 2010, 04:33:30 PM »

They were planted by Jim Magnan, I'm not sure what the benefit is besides maybe some extra protein for the cows and for Jen and I to use for our wedding lol.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #3 : August 03, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »

Josh, I am sure it is for you and Jen's wedding, but made me curious and looked online about nutritional values and here is what I found.

Sunflower can also be used as a silage crop. It can be used as a double crop after early harvested small grains or vegetables, an emergency crop, or in areas with a season too short to produce mature corn for silage.
Forage yields of sunflower are generally less than corn when a full growing season is available. In one study, sunflower dry matter yields ranged from 2.0 to 3.0 ton/acre compared with 3.1 to 3.8 ton/acre for corn. Moisture content of sunflower at maturity is usually high (80 to 90%) and would require wilting before ensiling.
Nutritional quality of sunflower silage is often higher than corn but lower than alfalfa hay (Table 1). Crude protein level of sunflower silage is similar to grass hay and higher than corn silage. Generally, crude protein of sunflower decreases and lignin percentage increases after the flowering stage. High plant populations increases fiber and lignin percentage. Seed size does not seem to affect yield or quality.
Table 1: Nutritional quality of sunflower, immature corn, and mature corn silage, alfalfa hay (harvested in early bloom) and timothy bay (harvested in late vegetative stage).1

Silage                                                              Hay
                              Sunflower   Immature corn   Mature corn       Alfalfa       Timothy
                                                                              % of dry matter
Total digestible nutrients   67.0   60.0                        69.0                        58.0       68.0
Crude protein                  11-12   8.2                         7.8                        18.0      11.4
Ether extract                  10-12   2.6                         2.9                         2.2      2.4
Crude fiber                                  31.0            31.0                         23.0                        31.0      31.0
Acid detergent fiber                  32.0   ---                         31.0                        38.0      33.0
Lignin                                 10-16   ---                         ---                         9.0      3.1
IVDDM 2                                 63-70   ---                         ---                         66.0      63.0
1Data from Miller, Oplinger and Collins, 1986.
2In vitro dry matter disappearance.

Sunflower silage contains considerably more fat than many other forages, (Table 1). Some producers and researchers in Oregon have experimented with sunflower/corn intercrops to increase energy content of a silage, but results of this work are not yet complete. In South Dakota trials, milk yields were reduced by 9% when straight sunflower silage was compared with corn. The nutritional quality of sunflower silage is generally recognized as adequate for dry cows, steers, and low milk producers.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Stand Alone Defense

« #4 : August 03, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »

Hmmm That is pretty interesting stuff!!! Looks like I'm gonna have to keep an eye on the Magnans Milk production when they start feeding it wonder if it will go up or down?  Although Jim might put it all up at Allens barn and only feed the dry cows with it to.

Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #5 : August 04, 2010, 07:08:54 AM »

Is little brother Jake going to be able to make it home for the wedding??

Henry Raymond
Stand Alone Defense

« #6 : August 05, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »

Yup he will be home in 8 days Henry!!!!!!!! So excited to him he is in the wedding.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: