Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:02:46 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Town Meeting Day Photos
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Town Meeting Day Photos  ( 3902 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 28, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »

Andrew Parent, who was elected last year as Town Moderator by write-in vote and was elected by voice vote today as School Moderator, poses with Representative Carolynn Branagan just prior to the Town School Meeting today.

Principal Scott Lang posed for a photo for me as he leaves his post this year, after 10 years as Principal at BFA-Fairfax

John Mitchell, who is running for the Selectboard position being vacated by Judy Cleary, stops to chat with Phyllis Soule, a long time member of the Fairfax Civil Board of Authority.

Melissa Beerworth is also running for the Selectboard position being vacated by Judy Cleary.

BFA-Fairfax students sat in a group on the bleachers and observed the Fairfax Town Meeting today, while I am sure visions of the Championship Game in Barre ran through their heads also.

Patti Smith, Rev. Elizabeth Griffin, Nancy Ladd and Charlotte McNall handled the Food Table which has become a yearly custom at our Fairfax Town meetings.

Coach Mike Brown was on hand selling tickets to tonight's Championship Basketball Game in Barre.

Suzanne Lavallee, the new Selectboard Assistant was at work today at the Selectboard Member's table.

Selectboard Chair Judy Cleary has just presented Donna Meunier with an Appreciation Award for her twenty years of service for the Town of Fairfax.

Fairfax Firemen, Steve Bessette, Tom Snyder, DJ Leach, Chief Dean Potter, Duane Leach and Tim Bessette anxiously away the vote for the New Tanker at today's Town Meeting.

Town Office Assistant, Stacy Wells, proud mother of Moderator Andrew Parent, Anne Marie Sheppard-Parent pose at the end of the Fairfax Town Meeting in front of the podium.

There are some additional photos in the photo gallery in slide show format at:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/photos/slideshow.php?set_albumName=fxtwnmtg_090228
« : February 28, 2009, 03:38:18 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : February 28, 2009, 07:31:56 PM »

The first part of the meeting starting at 10 a.m. this morning was the school portion.  Since no Moderator had been voted in last year, Peg Stewart, Chairman of the Selectboard asked for nominations.  I believe that Mr. Gilbert nominated Andrew Parent which was seconded.  Somebody else nominated Mr. Gilbert, however, he declined since he felt if questions were asked of him as a Representative, he would have to keep stepping out of his role of Moderator.  Andrew Parent was unanimously elected to fill the position along with the position as Town Moderator.

In regards to the following article 4:

ARTICLE 4      To see if the Voters of the Town of Fairfax will approve to purchase a new Tank Truck at a cost of $200,000.00 to be paid for with a $160,000.00 loan financed over 2 years and the remaining balance from the Fairfax Fire Department Replacement Fund.   

The article passed.  There was a some modification to the wording if I remember right, something to the effect that it was not to exceed $200,000.00.         

The next article regarding sidewalks:

ARTICLE 5      To see if the voters of the Town of Fairfax will authorize the sum of $3,000.00 for the sidewalk improvement fund which will accumulate to a substantial amount for a sidewalk project approved by the Select board.           

easily passed also.

In regards to Article 6, there was an error in it.  It was supposed to have read Disabled Veteran Exemption.  The wording was changed and the word Disabled added:

ARTICLE 6      To see if the Town of Fairfax will approve an Australian Ballot Vote in 2010 asking the voters to increase the Veteran Exemption from $10,000.00 to $40,000.00.           

There was a presentation by a Disabled Veteran and there was little discussion as the article was unanimously passed.

In regards to the following article, Mike Spaulding spoke briefly on it.  He mentioned something that I was unable to understand to the effect that some type of Insurance could be bought where the Rescue Squad would accept whatever was paid by the patients insurance company.  I believe he stated what the cost would be, but again, either because of my hearing or the sound system, I did not understand.  I am sure someone will be explaining what it is, and if not, I will contact Mike Spaulding for an explanation:

ARTICLE 7      To see if the Town of Fairfax will approve the sum of $19,878.00 in support of the Fairfax Rescue toward their operation expenses.           

This article also passed unanimously with several people applauding the work of both the Rescue & Fire Departments.                 

This next article had a lot of discussion.  There was really no plan, but since it had been petitioned by someone had to be put before the voters.  The cost was estimated at $500,000 to do the sidewalk in one foul swoop from Hunt Street to Nan's Mobil.  Thats a big hunk of money that was not in the budget.  There were different takes, however quite a few people felt that a better plan should be presented and also that the sidewalks should go both ways and also go as far as Minors so that people could walk to the Mini Mall where the Post Office is.

ARTICLE 8      The undersigned hereby petition the town clerk and other town officers of the Town of Fairfax, County of Franklin, Vermont that the Town build a safe walking path(sidewalk) from Hunt St. to Nan's station, all in one fiscal year.           

This article was defeated by a large margin.

The following article had little discussion:

ARTICLE 9      To see if the Town will authorize the Selectmen to place the tax bills in the hands of the treasurer as here to fore.           

This article passed easily.                 

ARTICLE 10   To see if the Town will authorize the Treasurer to collect the taxes on real estate that are due to the Town of Fairfax, with a due date of Nov. 16, 2009.           

Article passed easily with no discussion.

ARTICLE 11   To see if the Town will authorize the Selectmen to borrow money in anticipation of property taxes for the current year expenses.   

Article passed easily with no discussion.       

ARTICLE 12      To act on any other business.           

In regards to other business, Peter Moss got up to speak on an unwarned item about shutting down Vermont Yankee.  After a couple minutes into the talk, Moderator Andrew Parent brought down the gavel and asked if a motion should be made to let Peter Moss continue.  The item was brought up for a vote and defeated, so Peter Moss, even though he asked for a couple more minutes was not allowed to continue.

Barbara Murphy expressed her acceptance of the choices the Selectboard made regarding the giving of money to Home Health.  She felt is was a very worthwhile cause.  I in turn also expressed my appreciation of the work that Home Health does.  Carl Jones asked the Selectboard how many requests that they had for money and Bill Ormerod said probably about 20.  Carl Jones stated he liked to be a part of those decisions like he used to be.  Mr. Grace got up and said he felt that we had elected the Selectboard and they they should be qualified to make those decisions.

I didn't take any notes, so feel free to comment and correct me in case I heard or understood something wrong, but this gives you somewhat of an idea of what went on between 10 a.m. this morning and 2:30 this afternoon. 

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: