Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 12:02:56 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Picture of the Day 11/19/09 and Blog- The Call of the Wild
« previous next »
: [1]
: Picture of the Day 11/19/09 and Blog- The Call of the Wild  ( 4107 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : November 19, 2009, 12:19:25 AM »

Thursday November 19, 2009
Picture of the Day

A near empty marina over in the islands on Veteran's Day

THE CALL OF THE WILD

Had two encounter with wildlife late Wednesday night, one audio, the other visual.

First, a co-worker is on vacation for a couple of weeks and I am doing his end, the high school. I was walking out the doors by the boys locker room to dump my garbage, when I heard a commotion. It sounded like someone doing donuts in the parking lot of the mini-mall. But not really? It finally died down, then I wondered if it was coyotes or coydogs. Suddenly, I heard a high-pitched howling over by the bridge on 128. Then some howling by the mini-mall, then a lone howl in between, then the one by the bridge.
What the heck? Another co-worker was walking around the building checking doors, also heard it, and he said it sounded like a pretty good sized pack of 8-10 dogs.
I have heard similar sounds down in back of my house and even down past the football field, in the past. Really creepy to hear.

When I came home for supper at 6pm, I heard a rustling in the bushes down on the sidehill below the house. Didn't investigate.
When I came home from work at 11pm, I heard it again. I took my fire-department issued flashlight, and headed down in back of the house. Carry Parsons' dog, Tilly, was out on her leash, and she was barking and going nuts.
I turned the flashlight on and started scanning the back yard when I spotted a deer walking around. It looked at me, it had no horns, and looked like a young one. I don't see deer very often, so it could have been a doe.
Anyway, it was making it's way down across the backyard, when suddenly I heard a SNORT coming from near the maple trees. Like a horse's snort, or sharp exhale. I scanned around best I could but didn't see anything.
I then showed the light down by an old dead tree by the burn pile we have, and saw the deer's eyes looking at me. Then I saw a second set. One set of eyes were high, the other low.
Holy crap.

Should I post my land?

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #1 : November 19, 2009, 06:17:59 AM »

I heard the dogs too, Mike.
I was lying in bed, listening to tv,
ooooohhhhhwwwwwwoooooooo (sp?)
It was pretty wild sounding.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
David Shea
: 471

« #2 : November 19, 2009, 07:27:38 AM »

Mike,

We have deer in our yard quite frequently.  I have experienced what you heard several times, but the first time it took me by surprise. 

When I have heard the sound that you describe, it is the mother deer communicating with her little ones to hide because there is danger near.  The sound also takes attention away from the little ones by directing the intruders attention on the doe.  While you, the intruder, are focusing on the mom, the little ones will run to saftey.

Dave
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #3 : November 19, 2009, 11:15:55 AM »

Deer are EVERYWHERE here in middle Tennessee (or so it seems), I was coming home from a meeting and there was a doe walking down the middle of my street.  There is a group of about 8 or 9 that like the small field at the entrance to my sub division.  Amazing considering the road it is on is like Shelburne Rd...lots of cars and busy most times of the day..

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #4 : November 19, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »

We have houses built where the deer have travelled for years on Tracy Road near my house.  The deer still travel down that road and cross the road in the same place they have for years - Must be instinct.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: