Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 10:17:57 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  My Perspective At This Time
« previous next »
: [1]
: My Perspective At This Time  ( 3002 )
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« : July 21, 2008, 04:40:45 PM »

The finger-pointing season is now in full swing. Candidates have announced the office they will be running for and their consitiuents are ducking for cover as the process of ready, fire, then aim is underway.  The blame game is on with a flourish. The administration blames the legislature for not passing adequate laws. Legislative leaders counter with the argument that changes over the last two years strengthened those same laws and that the administration did not adequately supervise those responsible for enforcing the laws.   Some candidates are shouting “Give us Barabbus” as they shift their interests to become leaders of a crowd. At the same time, the public wants improved  government services at  less cost, and to abolish programs their families do not use. Draconian solutions may be simple but not effective in the long run. Babies and bath water should not be dealt with in the same manner.

Simple solutions may at times appear as one I received from a car dealer. It claimed that matching lucky numbers guaranteed that I had won a prize. However, the winning number is located in a different spot than the lucky number. You find that out only when you arrive at the dealership. Simple solutions may have a catch to them that is not readily apparent as in this sales enticement.

The Vermont State House hosts a placque where Dorothy Canfield Fisher, the internationally known Vermont author and humanitarian reminds us of the hard work of representing the voters of this state. The plaque reads, “The Vermont tradition grapples energetically with the basic problem of human conduct…how to reconcile the needs of the group, of which every man or woman is a member…with the craving for individual freedom to be what he really is.”

Public policy choices must be made within these limits. A potential solution may have unintended consequences. We need to ask ourselves not just what something new would do or stop, but what other consequences it might have. Does it create other problems? Or does it encourage other behaviors that might be worse than what is being stopped? It is only with some thoughtful preparation that positive, long term solutions to problems can be solved.

Our communities are now ready to have this happen. The positions of the state candidates and local letter writers have begun to shift from blaming others to one that suggests a willingness to research controversial issues and an openness to work for long term solutions rather than use these issues for political ammunition in the upcoming campaign. I am optimistic that real problem solving will replace sound bytes. At the least, we may have a better indication of who is willing to work on solutions and who places their priority on playing to the media.

Gary Gilbert
State Representative
Fairfax/Georgia
ggilbert@leg.state.vt.us
 849-6333.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: