Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 07:10:23 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Doyle Poll Shows Many In Favor Of Change
« previous next »
: [1]
: Doyle Poll Shows Many In Favor Of Change  ( 2411 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 22, 2008, 08:52:35 AM »

Doyle Poll Shows Many In Favor Of Change

Montpelier, Vermont - April 21, 2008

This is the fortieth year that Johnson Senator Bill Doyle (R) has conducted his independent survey, asking Vermonters to answer 14 different questions on Town Meeting Day. On Monday, he commented on several issues that saw overwhelming results in favor of change.

Cell phone use among drivers is a hot-button issue that's been widely discussed in recent years by both lawmakers and the public. New York state has banned drivers from talking without hands-free devices, and it seems Vermonters would like to see similar legislation.

Of the 13,500 people that responded to Senator Doyle's 2008 Town Meeting Day Survey, 71 percent said "yes," they think people should be banned from using cell phones while driving. Doyle says that type of ban will be enacted this year, but only for drivers between the ages of 16 and 18.

"You gotta start somewhere, and if you can't get a bill that goes the whole distance, why not start with a junior?" Doyle said. "That'd be a logical group of people to start with."

Another issue that lawmakers should finish up this year is a bill that removes jail time for people convicted of possessing less than an ounce of marijuana. The bill has already passed in the senate and is waiting for House approval. According to the survey, 66 percent of Vermonters think that emilinating prison time is the right thing to do.

"Well, I think the people of this state know the cost of jails and who in this state wants to start building another jail?" Doyle asked.

One issue lawmakers did not follow their constituents on is four-year-terms for governor. Sixty-two percent of poll respondents say they want to see governors serve for four years rather than two, but a proposed constitutional amendment to make that happen didn't even make it to the Senate floor. But this is hardly a new debate.

"This question has been asked about ten times in the last 40 years, and it's always about 62 percent, 63, 61," Doyle said. The next time a constitutional amendment can be considered is 2011.

Doyle's survey also asked the question, "Do you support same-sex marriage?" Fifty-four percent responded "yes," 40 percent responded "no" and six percent said they are not sure.

Bianca Slota - WCAX News

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: