Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 04:13:42 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Signs Of Spring Budget Choices
« previous next »
: [1]
: Signs Of Spring Budget Choices  ( 2768 )
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« : April 20, 2008, 06:04:32 PM »

The warmth and the hustle and bustle of spring have blossomed with an explosion of activity this week both at home and in Montpelier. There is a heightened activity on the home front as neighbors become reacquainted with each other. They are busy raking lawns and cleaning months of dirt off their vehicles as their children and dogs express the joy of being outside. Some, like me, have their motorcycles on the road. There is similarly increased activity at the state house. But not as much joy.

Bills and amendments have popped up all over the place. Some are clear as to what is hoped to accomplish, while others may have outcomes that are quite different than what might be anticipated. The trick is to be able to tell them apart and to spend time on those that require a very critical review. Most legislators are anxious to wrap things up and come home. But we must first make sure that the cuts that will be made to the budget represent the values that are important to Vermonters and are also transparent so that a voter will understand, not simply what was cut but also the effect of that reduction. Let me give some low profile examples where there may be hidden effects.

One proposal on the revenue side is to transfer special education Medicaid funds to the Department of Corrections. These funds are important for IEP related educational programs. However, it would reduce the available funds for Vermont school districts by the same amount.  Would this mean a cost shift to the educational property tax for a program that is not part of the local school districts responsibility? Should the voters be told that this is a possibility?

A second proposal is to eliminate DCF Bright Futures Coordinators and to have the Agency for Human Services staff continue this very important program within their existing budget and staff. The questions to ask here are whether the program can be maintained in light of the proposed reduction in Early Education program personnel and a targeted reduction of 450 positions from executive branch agencies including Human Services positions. We will not know the answer to this until after the staffing cuts are made, months after the budget has been adjusted.

Each choice involves setting a priority between two reasonable options. But they also present a choice that could be a hidden tax increase or the elimination of a program. Regardless of what happens in Montpelier we should tell the voter what our choice really was.

Please let me know how you feel about these or other issues. I also invite you to come to Montpelier to see the legislative process in action. I can be reached during the week in Montpelier by calling toll free at the State House 1-800-322-5616, by E-mail at ggilbert@leg.state.vt.us, or at my home answering machine at 849-6333.

Gary Gilbert
State Representative
Franklin 1
Fairfax/Georgia
: [1]  
« previous next »
: