Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 01:11:24 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Amish Peaches - A Disappointment
« previous next »
: [1]
: Amish Peaches - A Disappointment  ( 5511 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 24, 2011, 08:11:10 AM »

I have been trying to incorporate some fresh fruit in my diet and saw where they had some Amish Peaches down at Steeples.  I know that years ago Maryann and I bought several bushel of them and decided to freeze them.  We actually did this on our wedding anniversary (Sept 3rd) and worked from morning into the evening doing this.  I am trying to remember how we peeled them, but I think we dipped them momentarily into boiling water, removed the stones and put them in plastic bags inside of cardboard boxes and froze them.  We had peaches for years and they actually kept very well and I remember them as being delicious.  I was looking forward to some fresh peaches.

Well, I bought 3 of them, brought them home and tried to eat the first one.  It was hard as a rock and also sour.  Went to the Internet to see what they suggested and they suggested that you place them on a linen napkin, not touching each other and then cover them.  Well, I don't have any linen napkins, so I used the next best thing I have at my house - Bounty.  They have been sitting on my shelf for one day and when I touched them, they still feel hard - Hopefully they will soften up and become sweet.

Anyone got any better ideas, or should I go back to eating a couple of fresh oranges each day??

Henry Raymond
fletchtb
: 310

« #1 : August 24, 2011, 08:56:30 AM »

I've heard of ripening fruit in brown paper bags although I've never tried it personally.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #2 : August 24, 2011, 04:05:57 PM »

When I looked online, they said the same thing about using a paper bag.

"Place them in a loosely sealed brown paper bag on the counter. The peaches give off ethylene gas - a natural ripening hormone - which is trapped inside the bag causing the fruit to ripen faster. You can do this with a plastic bag too, but the plastic doesn't "breathe" as well as the paper, meaning moisture may collect causing your perfectly ripened peaches to rot.

Once ripe, peaches should be refrigerated and used within a few days (although they'll taste better at room temp). Ripe peaches have a sweet fragrance, are soft (but not mushy) to the touch and have a golden undertone.

This ripening trick also works for apricots, nectarines, avocados, bananas, kiwi, mangoes, pears and plums."

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #3 : August 24, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »

im hungry now thanks
Henry
Administrator

« #4 : August 24, 2011, 07:24:45 PM »

I ate those frozen peaches for a lot of years and never got sick of them, but Maryann got to a point where she couldn't stand the sight of them.  Mary Kay told me last night, she doesn't eat them either.  I have two in a brown paper bag now and hopefully the trick with the brown paper bag works.

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #5 : August 26, 2011, 12:40:57 AM »

Amish Peaches?

Did they taste like wood?........Fibery?

I thought it was funny............
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : August 26, 2011, 06:42:22 AM »

Yup!!  The brown paper bag works - took two days - What a difference

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #7 : August 27, 2011, 12:57:07 AM »

I breezed through an informational advertisement where they were selling bags to ripen and keep fruits fresh, no offense.

But if a paper bag works, I am all for that!
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #8 : August 27, 2011, 04:52:51 AM »

mike try one over your head for 2 days it might work for you
: [1]  
« previous next »
: