Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:20:28 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Pictures of the Day 6/5/09 and Blog- 21st Century Breakdown
« previous next »
: [1]
: Pictures of the Day 6/5/09 and Blog- 21st Century Breakdown  ( 3364 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : June 04, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »

Pictures of the Day June 5, 2009

Foundation work on Steeple Market

21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN

I picked up Green Day's newest album, 21st Century Breakdown, recently. Rolling Stone magazine called it better than their last masterpiece, American Idiot.
American Idiot is one of my all time favorite albums. It's an album that you want to play air guitar to on every song.
21st Century Breakdown, to me, is very different from "Idiot", and I can't say whether it's better or not.
"21st" is a good album, and I need to listen to the complete thing a few more times. I already have songs that are really growing on me. I remember when I listened to it the first time, thinking, this song I want to hear again, and this song, etc..
The four songs I really like are Viva La Gloria, Christian's Inferno, East Jesus Nowhere, and Peacemaker.
If anything, "21st" is more grownup than "Idiot". With "Idiot", it was just one slam-bam punk song after another.
"21st" has more instruments, I guess, or the music is more intricate. There is more piano, and string pieces in this one. The lyrics are more involved this time as well.
The album is co-produced by Butch Vig, who did some work with Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins. Butch teamed up with a couple other studio musicians, Duke Erikson, and Steve Marker, and discovered a redheaded voice from Scotland named Shirley Manson and formed the band Garbage, which have been one of my favorites. The intricacy of the music reminded me of Garbage, and I ended up pulling out a couple of their Cd's and gave them a listen again. Great band. Big hits for them were Only Happy When It Rains, Push It, Stupid Girl, Why Do You Love Me?.
If you are a Green Day fan, 21st Century Breakdown is a must for your collection.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #1 : June 05, 2009, 09:44:27 AM »

I'll check it out on line first.  I just can't seem to grasp the "pop punk" genre.  I think I'll stick to the originals...The Ramones, The Sex Pistols etc..

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
MikeF9
: 1994

« #2 : June 05, 2009, 08:58:42 PM »

I really enjoy stuff that I can play air guitar to. American Idiot was that for me. I have been listening to the new one on a boom box instead of a portable CD player with headphones. It's a reall great album. More ballad-y than Idiot, but there are moments of thrashing guitars.

Speaking of the Ramones-
I keep seeing a movie/documentary about the Ramones. I need to look into a greatest hits CD or something.
I wish I was reallly into this type of music back in the 70's.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: