Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 10:59:59 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  storm report #1
« previous next »
: [1]
: storm report #1  ( 2102 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : August 31, 2011, 06:11:41 AM »

Here in the north country we were lucky. There was little damage from the hurricane, except in  Montgomery, where some roads are in rough shape. Neither of the communities I represent have any damage to submit for the FEMA funds. Schools are open today.

In the southern and central parts of the state however, folks were not so fortunate. On Monday morning the Speaker of the House Shap Smith arranged a conference call for legislators to hear first hand from Public Safety officials regarding the status of plans for response and recovery. President Obama's declaration of an emergency here in Vermont will allow federal funds to be released for immediate  emergency related efforts. This will help pay for removal of debris, engineering support for VTrans, preparing Red Cross meals and other life support. Costs will be shared 75% federal and 25% state. The  Vermont Emergency Management and Federal Emergency Management are still in response mode. Governor Shumlin will be asking the President for public and individual assistance through a major disaster declaration. This declaration would provide our communities most effected with repair and replacement of bridges and substantial grant and loan assistance.

Vermont businesses and municipalities should call 211 to report property damage, though most of these calls will certainly be made from central and southern sections.

The latest information is available at http://vem.vermotn.gov/. Information on roads and bridges is available at http://www.511vt.com/ or by calling 511.

Also feel free to contact me at cbranagan@leg.state.vt.us   I'll try to help you however I can.

Rep.  Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House  of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: