Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 03:24:12 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  UVM
« previous next »
: [1]
: UVM  ( 2980 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

UVM
« : May 24, 2011, 05:27:33 PM »

This past weekend the University of Vermont Trustees held their regular May meeting.  Outside, the weather improved all weekend while families, students and University personnel prepared for graduation, but inside around the Board table the atmosphere was  heavy.  It was the most difficult meeting by far of any in my tenure.

One of the reasons was the proposed 5.8%  increase in tuition. The recession has hit the families of UVM students hard. Because family incomes have declined, many more  of  our students require financial aid. I have really struggled with this budget. While  I  understand the need for more financial aid, continued large  tuition  increases are  not sustainable. Before the vote I amended the motion to require the fiscal people to bring to the Board at our October meeting a plan to slow growth in tuition. I feel this is essential  in order to make sure a university education is affordable for all students who  seek it.  I was delighted when my motion was approved unanimously

The 5.8% increase breaks down like this:  4%  will go to the increase need for financial aid;  .8%  makes up for loss of a one time appropriation;  and 1%  helps offset increased expenditures. UVM Salaries are budgeted at 0%  increase. 

I look forward to the October plan.

Rep.  Carolyn Branagan

Carolyn Branagan
David Shea
: 471

« #1 : May 24, 2011, 08:19:36 PM »

Carol,

It doesn't take a Ph D to figure out why the cost at UVM are going up.  The new student center, Jefford's building, student housing next to living and learning, these are the obvious over the top expenditures.  I am sure there are many more...

I was a sales rep on campus for 5 years and can tell you for a fact that the problems on campus run deep.
JLB
: 56

« #2 : May 28, 2011, 08:29:43 PM »

Thank you Carolyn for all your efforts.    It is much appreciated.

I have 3 boys entering college Fall 2012, 2014 and 2017.   

It is tough.

JLB
: [1]  
« previous next »
: