Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 12:46:53 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Just A Little More Info On Hi-Tech Sugaring At Ellsworth's
« previous next »
: [1]
: Just A Little More Info On Hi-Tech Sugaring At Ellsworth's  ( 2541 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 22, 2005, 07:15:56 AM »

Hi All,

Well, its been just a little exhausting for this old mind to understand this Hi-Tech stuff - Bottom line though, this syrup tastes the same as it did when I was a kid.  I certainly hope that those of you that have the opportunity will take the time to contact someone to visit a sugar house near you.

There is nothing like pure Vermont Maple Syrup and now just a little more on:

THE ELLSWORTH SUGAR HOUSE ON THE COMMETTE ROAD IN FAIRFAX

Yup!! that's right - Steam coming out of the Ellsworth Sugar House

where Ralph Ellsworth sugared for many, many years on the farm where he was born, brought up and still resides. (Ralph will be celebrating his 89th birthday on April 26th).

Ralph's son, Jim Ellsworth carries on the tradition as he prepares to throw a few more logs on the fire.

I believe that is Patti (Bellows) Smith waiting, maybe not so patiently in the background, as Jim Ellsworth gives the boiling sap a critical eye. As the sap thickens, it gets hotter. Jim knows that the maple syrup is ready when its temperature reaches 7 degrees Fahrenheit above the boiling point of water. This process requires a lot of time and energy.

Jim Ellsworth and Mary Spaulding are ready for that new spring syrup which they should be ready to draw off in just about another hour on this March 19th, 2005. Mary will then filter the syrup through the pressure filter I described earlier, or she sometimes uses the gravity type filter if she is going to can some syrup immediately. Syrup which is to be marketed commercially must have all suspended material and other precipitates removed. The clarification process is necessary to meet some individual state and/or federal grading standards.

Vermont Maple Syrup Grades

Vermont Fancy Syrup
is usually made from the first sap run of the season. The color is light amber and the maple flavor is mild and delicate.

Grade A Medium Amber
 is slightly darker than Fancy and the maple flavor is more evident.

Grade A Dark Amber
has a much more robust maple flavor and sweetness.

Grade B syrup
is dark with a very hearty maple flavor and is used by many for cooking and is sold for commercial use in other products.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: