Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:59:25 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Winter Weather & Blood Donations
« previous next »
: [1]
: Winter Weather & Blood Donations  ( 2132 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : February 13, 2008, 04:54:31 PM »

Winter Weather Continues To Impact Blood Donations
Eligible Donors Are Urged To Give Blood

February 12, 2008 (Burlington, Vermont) – Continued inclement weather and the expectation of additional snow storms across northern New England are causing a significant decline in blood donations through the American Red Cross.

According to Susan Parmer, R.N., CEO for the American Red Cross Blood Services, Northern New England Region, blood collected to date during the month of February is close to 900 pints less than expected. With more snow on the way, the Red Cross is urging all eligible donors to give blood at this time. Blood cannot be manufactured and its only source is a caring volunteer donor. It is of crucial importance that eligible blood donors give blood to ensure this lifesaving medicine will be there when it is needed.

“This shortfall is of great concern as it has the possibility of impacting patients in our community,” said Parmer. “The need for blood continues despite weather or other external conditions. I urge anyone who is eligible to make giving blood a priority at this time. Patients are depending on it.”

Potential blood donors may give blood at BFA-Fairfax on Monday, February 18th from 12:30 – 5:30.

Blood can be used for many surgical procedures, bone marrow transplants, trauma and patients undergoing chemotherapy. For some patients, such as the victim of an automobile accident, the need for blood is sudden. For others, ongoing transfusions are needed to sustain lifesaving medical treatment.

Despite all medical advances, there is still no substitute for blood. During the winter months in New England, blood supplies often drop significantly due to inclement weather, hazardous driving conditions and illness. Yet the need for blood remains constant.

To donate blood through the American Red Cross, individuals must be at least 17 years of age, weigh at least 110 pounds, and be in general good health. For additional information or to find a Red Cross blood drive, please call 1-800-GIVE LIFE or visit www.newenglandblood.org.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
MikeF9
: 1994

« #1 : February 14, 2008, 09:11:34 AM »

And to top it off on Monday.......

From what I hear, the Varsity boys have a playdown game Monday night at 7pm in the High School Gym.
The blood drive, by the way, will be in the Middle School Gym, aka, The Old Gym.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: