Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 10:47:42 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Any Signs Of Sugaring In The Area Yet??
« previous next »
: [1]
: Any Signs Of Sugaring In The Area Yet??  ( 4700 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 21, 2010, 09:07:27 AM »

Well, with Town Meeting Day just around the corner and the temperature did reach a little above 38 degrees here yesterday, our sugarmakers must be thinking of getting ready for the season.  It used to be that in order for sap to run, the temperature had to reach 40 degrees, but with all the new technologies & pumps, I suspect they can get a little sap before the temperature gets that high, although I don't know.  Looking for a few local photos and stories of sugaring in & around Fairfax.

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #1 : February 21, 2010, 09:14:38 AM »

I saw buckets being hung atvthf Phillips' farm on rte 128 yesterday :)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : February 21, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »

By the way, for those of you new in town, Bill Phillips wife Frena is the sister of the now deceased Doug & Bill Webb from the Webb Farm in Buck Hollow.  Bill and Frena's little sugar house can be see from the road just before you get to Cobbs Corners:

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #3 : February 21, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »

Frena is also the sister of Ivy Webb Ovitt, wife of Orman.  I vy passed away several years ago.  She was one of the sweetest persons I have even known.
vtoutdoorguymb
: 136

« #4 : February 21, 2010, 10:28:57 PM »

I help some friends here in town (well technically westford) and we are in the process of starting to tap very soon...hopefully the weather cooperates, would love to see the season start soon! :-)
ohhman
: 469

« #5 : February 23, 2010, 01:52:09 PM »

Dale will be delivering his 1st tank of sap tonight! It's been running a little but he had lots( & again has more )of repairs from deer & coyote chewing the tubing. He followed a set of coyote tracks down 1 line today & guess the animal had been busy chewing again......sure wouldn't want to be a coyote if Dale spots one!.........hmm coyote stew??!! Let's just hope for a good year for the maple producers!
Shadylane08
: 125

« #6 : February 23, 2010, 02:43:58 PM »

Coyote's chewing on tubing?  Huh I haven't heard of that before.  If he wants someone to try and thin the local coyote herd I'm always looking for new places to go ;)  Gives a deer hunter something to do in the winter haha

I know a lot of people are either in the middle of tapping right now, or have it all done.  I would imagine with these days in the mid to upper 30's we'll start seeing the smoke stacks come to life!
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #7 : February 24, 2010, 01:04:28 AM »

Tell Dale I'm sorry Karen, could of shot one the other day behind NANS Mobile but didn't have my rifle with me.  200 yards is just a little to far of a shot for my glock.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
ohhman
: 469

« #8 : February 24, 2010, 02:20:32 PM »

Thanks Josh! & maybe between Nate & Dale too the problem can be taken care of! Sure there's more than 1 of them around as 1 got hit a few weeks ago & a day later 1 was playing in the meadow near the creamery road.  Coyotes have been chewing lots as have deer. (Yes S-L08, coyote tracks follow along the lines & here a chew there a chew!) Guess they get bored as the deer do. Can't imagine someone is letting their dog run lose through the sugar woods there.  Not such a good way to keep peace with your neighbor, if so!   Josh, with Nate though, he'll probably want that mounted for the wall near the bear, & the turkey feather mounts & ?????.   When he moves out my house will be empty! I tell him he'd best get a big place for everything!    Thanks for the offer S-L-08 but the guys here can handle it; sorry, the land is posted now & Josh is 1 of us.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: