Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 06:00:59 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Vermont Special Olympics News. by Moretti!
« previous next »
: [1]
: Vermont Special Olympics News. by Moretti!  ( 1862 )
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« : March 15, 2013, 07:17:02 AM »

Olympic excitement came to Fairfax last weekend as members of BFA Fairfax Elementary, Middle and High Schools participated in the Vermont Special Olympics Winter Games. Each athlete enters the competition under the oath "Let me win; but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt." Each participant is given a scarf with this year’s theme colors- over 30 of which were made and donated by Fairfax fans. The three-day event began on Friday March 8 with schools from around the state competing in Unified Sports Snowshoe races.

“This is our 3rd year competing in Unified Sports which allows people of all abilities the opportunity to compete with each other.” said Coach Heather Weeks. “Our team competed in the 2x25m, 2x50m, and 2x100m relays. To prepare for the races, we held 10 practices where students worked on sprinting in snowshoes, tagging a partner, getting used to a starter pistol, and a lot of team building activities.” Coaches Weeks, Cindy Anderson, Sandy Brown, and Jennifer Bockus are very proud of their team for their efforts, their compassion for each other, and their sportsmanship. Fairfax Unified Snowshoe team members are Levi Ashline, Olivia Bergeron, Lyle Broe, Jacob Brueckner, Ian Carpenter, Ray Fontaine, David Lumbra, Katherine Roberts, Ada Sorenson, Austin Stoneburner, Max Sturm, Hannah Weed, and Gabriella Whalen.

Opening ceremonies for the Vermont Special Olympics Winter Games began with a parade of athletes. The Woodstock Town Green was ringed with white luminaries and illuminated stars to fit the theme “You are all stars.” The band played the Olympic theme as 150 athletes and their coaches marched in under banners announcing their regional teams. The excited crowd was welcomed and inspired by representatives of Woodstock, the Olympic Committee, Governor Shumlin and the three Vermont athletes that competed in the World Games in January in South Korea. The Olympic Torch was run through the square to light the pillar and the evening was capped off by a fireworks display.

Coaches and athletes hit the mountain early Saturday morning to begin qualifying time trails in each discipline. Athletes competed in Alpine Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowshoeing and Nordic Skiing events. Daeton Orton (8th grade) and Johnny Moretti (11th grade) had two days of competition on the mountain under gorgeous sunny skies. Across the sparkling snow you could hear cheers of encouragement as athletes gave their all. Awards ceremonies were conducted throughout both days resulting in non-stop celebration and elation.

Daeton competed in the Alpine Skiing events with Team Smugglers Notch. He was awarded a Silver medal in the Alpine Intermediate Slalom, Fourth Place ribbon for the Alpine Intermediate Giant Slalom, and a Bronze Medal in the Alpine Intermediate Super G.

Members of the BFA Fairfax Nordic Ski Team traveled to Woodstock to volunteer for the day and to cheer for their teammate Johnny Moretti who competed with Team St. Albans Maple Leaves (as well as for all of the Nordic competitors and the adjacent snowshoe races). Johnny took Gold Medals in the 50M, 500M and 1K Nordic Ski Sprints with his trademark “orange blur double pole” technique.

Pride and joy were the overriding sentiments throughout the weekend. Many a tear was shed out of sheer excitement and accomplishment, and even disappointment was outpaced by the thrill of the competition and camaraderie. “I think we all walked away a different person. It was so wonderful to see everyone so happy with what they did no matter first or last,” said Shelly Pottla as she cheered on every athlete in her sightline.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: